Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Round 2 confusion from syllabus section "Resources for Taking LSAT"

gparmar92gparmar92 Alum Member
in Logic Games 153 karma

This is a paragraph I got from the tips on the logic games section under the syllabus section of "Resources for Taking LSAT"

"If you encounter a question that you cannot solve quickly, skip. Come back on round 2 if you have time. Clearly, something faulty is happening in your reasoning and it's blinding you to the right answer. You want give yourself some time and space away from that reasoning. Let it "go to bed" so to speak. Come back on round 2 with a fresh perspective."

The part I'm confused about is the last bit that I bolded. Lets say you're on game 1 of a LG section and you get to question #3 and you can't get it. In this scenario you would skip the question but does the "skip" referred to above mean that, you skip #3 and go do #4 and #5 and then go on to the next game, (coming back after going through all the other games, similar to a LR type of skip) OR does the "skip and come back on round 2" mean that you skip #3 go do #4 and #5 then come back to #3 before moving to Game 2?

If someone could clear this up for me that would be great. I wrote the Dec. LSAT and I'm confident I tanked the games because of panic, not because of a lack of understanding. So I'm reviewing for Feb and I just want make sure that my overall testing technique is much more improved (as in getting the lowest hanging coconut on all the sections). I feel that if my technique for taking the test is better, the knowledge I have of in/out games, sequencing games, all the different LR type questions, etc. will be implemented better on test day, and make me feel as confident as I did doing PT's in a library lol.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@gparmar92 said:
    This is a paragraph I got from the tips on the logic games section under the syllabus section of "Resources for Taking LSAT"

"If you encounter a question that you cannot solve quickly, skip. Come back on round 2 if you have time. Clearly, something faulty is happening in your reasoning and it's blinding you to the right answer. You want give yourself some time and space away from that reasoning. Let it "go to bed" so to speak. Come back on round 2 with a fresh perspective."

The part I'm confused about is the last bit that I bolded. Lets say you're on game 1 of a LG section and you get to question #3 and you can't get it. In this scenario you would skip the question but does the "skip" referred to above mean that, you skip #3 and go do #4 and #5 and then go on to the next game, (coming back after going through all the other games, similar to a LR type of skip) OR does the "skip and come back on round 2" mean that you skip #3 go do #4 and #5 then come back to #3 before moving to Game 2?

If someone could clear this up for me that would be great. I wrote the Dec. LSAT and I'm confident I tanked the games because of panic, not because of a lack of understanding. So I'm reviewing for Feb and I just want make sure that my overall testing technique is much more improved (as in getting the lowest hanging coconut on all the sections). I feel that if my technique for taking the test is better, the knowledge I have of in/out games, sequencing games, all the different LR type questions, etc. will be implemented better on test day, and make me feel as confident as I did doing PT's in a library lol.

Thank you in advance

Hi, could you post a link to the lesson you are talking about?

I think Round 2 would be the first scenario where "you would skip the question but does the "skip" referred to above mean that, you skip #3 and go do #4 and #5 and then go on to the next game, (coming back after going through all the other games, similar to a LR type of skip)".

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    edited December 2017 5320 karma

"Round 2" usually refers to the second pass through a section after you've already attempted/seen all the questions.

If I'm confident in my understanding of the game (meaning no rule translation errors or mistakes setting up the game board) and I'm struggling with a question, then there is likely something I'm not seeing. This situation came up during my last PT; Q6 was a CBT for which I was able to eliminate A and E, but would need to brute force the remaining ACs. I chose to move on completely. Finishing Game 4 with 5 minutes left. I returned to Q6 at which point I "saw" what I had been missing and in fact didn't need to brute force at all.

Speaking more generally, whenever I make a skipping decision, it always comes down to the cost of my options. In my first example above, I didn't want to risk stepping into a time-sink on the 6th question of a set since I had no idea about the difficulty that lay ahead. Plus, I find that I'm more likely to "see" what I was missing and spend less time in total if I move on to the next game and return in the 2nd round. Maybe it's because not enough time has passed. Or maybe it's because I feel more confident on round 2 since I just answer 20-22 questions confidently and now I'm returning to the few which gave me trouble.

Side note. In that same section, I reached game 4 with 15 minutes left but when I reached the 3rd question of that set, I knew I had made a big mistake somewhere because none of the AC were possible based on my game board. In this case, it would have been very stupid to keep answering questions based on a bad set up. I returned to the rules and painstakingly reviewed each piece of my game board eventually finding the error and answering the remaining questions in that set. At that point, I returned to Q6 as I already described. In this case, the cost of moving on was too great.

• gparmar92gparmar92 Alum Member
    edited December 2017 153 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    "Round 2" usually refers to the second pass through a section after you've already attempted/seen all the questions.

If I'm confident in my understanding of the game (meaning no rule translation errors or mistakes setting up the game board) and I'm struggling with a question, then there is likely something I'm not seeing. This situation came up during my last PT; Q6 was a CBT for which I was able to eliminate A and E, but would need to brute force the remaining ACs. I chose to move on completely. Finishing Game 4 with 5 minutes left. I returned to Q6 at which point I "saw" what I had been missing and in fact didn't need to brute force at all.

Speaking more generally, whenever I make a skipping decision, it always comes down to the cost of my options. In my first example above, I didn't want to risk stepping into a time-sink on the 6th question of a set since I had no idea about the difficulty that lay ahead. Plus, I find that I'm more likely to "see" what I was missing and spend less time in total if I move on to the next game and return in the 2nd round. Maybe it's because not enough time has passed. Or maybe it's because I feel more confident on round 2 since I just answer 20-22 questions confidently and now I'm returning to the few which gave me trouble.

Side note. In that same section, I reached game 4 with 15 minutes left but when I reached the 3rd question of that set, I knew I had made a big mistake somewhere because none of the AC were possible based on my game board. In this case, it would have been very stupid to keep answering questions based on a bad set up. I returned to the rules and painstakingly reviewed each piece of my game board eventually finding the error and answering the remaining questions in that set. At that point, I returned to Q6 as I already described. In this case, the cost of moving on was too great.

That's something I need to work on. Sometimes my ego gets into it and I tell myself "common this is game 2 you should get it no problem" or something stupid like that. Then I end missing the last game completely because of my decision not to simply move to the next question or next game.

Thanks for your insight, I appreciate it!

• gparmar92gparmar92 Alum Member
    153 karma

@akistotle said:

@gparmar92 said:

Thank you in advance

Hi, could you post a link to the lesson you are talking about?

I think Round 2 would be the first scenario where "you would skip the question but does the "skip" referred to above mean that, you skip #3 and go do #4 and #5 and then go on to the next game, (coming back after going through all the other games, similar to a LR type of skip)".

Sure. Here's the link

https://7sage.com/lesson/logic-games-habits-for-speed-and-accuracy/

It's the third paragraph under "When doing the questions"