Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Petitioning for use of Feb LSAT

Hello,

I will be petitioning Columbia to use my February LSAT.

This is what their admissions page says:

"For the 2017-2018 admissions cycle, we will consider scores from the February 2018 LSAT from candidates who petition in writing and receive confirmation of petition approval by January 1, 2018. Petitions for 2018 February LSAT score consideration should be emailed to admissions@law.columbia.edu. As we have in past cycles, the Admissions Committee strongly encourages applicants to take the LSAT no later than the December test administration and to complete their applications earlier rather than later in the cycle."

Has anyone ever petitioned to have their Feb LSAT used? Is there anything specific I should include in the petition (i.e. explaining the circumstances as to why I am testing so late?)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

I haven't petitioned for a school to take a later test score, but here are my thoughts:

1. The success of your petition will likely depend on having a really compelling reason to retake/take in February (you tried to take in December and something significant, like a serious illness, hurricane, or death in the family, very obviously stopped you from performing well/sitting for the exam). They might even ask you why you didn't take in September as well.
    2. Applying with a February LSAT will mean that they won't review your application until the very end of the cycle, which means that you are going to have to have a very, very impressive application in order to justify an acceptance at Columbia (probably, at the very least, the median LSAT score). So be warned.

I believe this petition will probably look very much like an LSAT addendum.

If you want, I can share with you my LSAT addendum that explains to schools that I'd like them to consider my application in light of my December score instead of my September score.

Hope this is useful!

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited December 2017 3197 karma

Don't over think it, its as simple as An email stating I'd like to petition to have the February LSAT considered for admissions and they literally email back approved and a little note that says you've been approved to send in with your application.

I've done it for NYU and Colombia in the past.

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

I'm doing this too and emailed that I would like to petition to have my Feb score considered. they emailed back asking for more specific reasons as to why and I'm not really sure how to write this out in an email. Basically just feel like my other scores don't reflect how well I think I can do on the test

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited December 2017 9377 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    I'm doing this too and emailed that I would like to petition to have my Feb score considered. they emailed back asking for more specific reasons as to why and I'm not really sure how to write this out in an email. Basically just feel like my other scores don't reflect how well I think I can do on the test

Columbia is pretty liberal in granting the request. You can tell them your scores do not represent how you performed on PrepTests.

• lsatgirllsatgirl Free Trial Member
    11 karma

i just said that i was confident my february score would be more representative of my positioning as a candidate -

• charles27charles27 Alum Member
    136 karma

I just submitted petition and got approved. Basically just wrote I felt February would be more representative of my potential. Think Columbia is pretty liberal about granting approval. Shouldn’t be tough just needs to be in before January 1st. Good luck!