Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to explain breaks in resume/law school apps?

Hey all!

I've been taking a break after my fellowship for family reasons and to work on my applications. Do I have to include anything in my resume? I'll be working again in January so I was planning to send a updated resume when I start a new position.

Do I have to do anything else...I was told by some people that since it's normal for people to take time off after a fellowship, I don't have to do anything. I can just update the schools when I start something.

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yes, to my knowledge, you should explain any gap in which you weren't either working or in school for a significant period of time (more than a couple weeks or so).

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, give an explanation and make it short and sweet.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@fambam24 said:
    Hey all!

I've been taking a break after my fellowship for family reasons and to work on my applications. Do I have to include anything in my resume? I'll be working again in January so I was planning to send a updated resume when I start a new position.

Do I have to do anything else...I was told by some people that since it's normal for people to take time off after a fellowship, I don't have to do anything. I can just update the schools when I start something.

How long has this break been? If it's not too long, I wouldn't write anything drawing attention to it. 6 months, yeah write something. 6 weeks ... Ehh, debatable. It's normal to take time off after a fellowship and more generally normal to have small breaks between different positions. I took a ~10 week leave from my job earlier this year and I don't plan on writing anything.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@fambam24 said:
    Hey all!

How long has this break been? If it's not too long, I wouldn't write anything drawing attention to it. 6 months, yeah write something. 6 weeks ... Ehh, debatable. It's normal to take time off after a fellowship and more generally normal to have small breaks between different positions. I took a ~10 week leave from my job earlier this year and I don't plan on writing anything.

This. Common sense is probably the best approach

• fambam24fambam24 Member
    215 karma

Thanks guys! This is really helpful. The break has been longer than I expected. So I'll write a short note with my application. I just don't want them to question anything.