Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logical negation of "imperfect"

hello 7sagers,

Is the logical negation of "imperfect", "not imperfect" or "perfect"?
I'm unsure what the middle ground between "imperfect" and "perfect" may be

thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2017 23929 karma

@LSATlife said:
    hello 7sagers,

Is the logical negation of "imperfect", "not imperfect" or "perfect"?
    I'm unsure what the middle ground between "imperfect" and "perfect" may be

thanks!

I would think it would be "not imperfect" just because the negation of imperfect doesn't necessarily mean perfect. Like you said, there's middle ground that needs to be encompassed when we're talking in LSAT terms.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@"Alex Divine"

I would think it would be "not imperfect" just because the negation of imperfect doesn't necessarily mean perfect. Like you said, there's middle ground that needs to be encompassed when we're talking in LSAT terms.

LOL I think I know the LR question which prompted this.

In a rare case of disagreement with you Alex, I believe the negation would in fact be "perfect". "Imperfect" seems to capture all scenarios that are not "perfect". The definition for "imperfect" is "not perfect; faulty or incomplete" after all.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I think it depends on the context.
    Imperfect can be"not perfect". Negating that would come out to perfect.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Ohhh I like this question, really made me think a bit.

I’m in agreement with @jkatz1488. The word “imperfect” seems to capture all instances other than perfect.

Let’s just use a grade as an example. 0-99% is an imperfect grade. 100% is the only other option, or in other words a perfect grade!

The English language is so fun lol

edited December 2017 13286 karma

Thinking about it more, @"Alex Divine" is not wrong either!

Not imperfect means it is perfect! Lol it’s like semantics

It's sort of a double negative between "not" and the prefix "im"!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@LSATcantwin

Not imperfect means it is perfect! Lol it’s like Symantec’s

HAHA love the enthusiasm! Yes I see that now. However, to specifically address OP's concern, I don't think there is any middle ground between perfect and imperfect. It's a beautiful binary split.

13286 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    @LSATcantwin

Not imperfect means it is perfect! Lol it’s like Symantec’s

HAHA love the enthusiasm! Yes I see that now. However, to specifically address OP's concern, I don't think there is any middle ground between perfect and imperfect. It's a beautiful binary split.

Yep! I had to come back and think about it a few times, as well as edit my phones auto correct of "semantics" to "Symantec's" for whatever reason...

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2017 23929 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    @"Alex Divine"

LOL I think I know the LR question which prompted this.

In a rare case of disagreement with you Alex, I believe the negation would in fact be "perfect". "Imperfect" seems to capture all scenarios that are not "perfect". The definition for "imperfect" is "not perfect; faulty or incomplete" after all.

Yeah this makes more sense, haha. Definitely seems like it could be treated as a binary cut.