Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many jobs/law school work experiences did you list?

supboardersupboarder Alum Member
edited December 2017 in Law School Admissions 109 karma

My college does not have that many government offices in town, and I have so far been only been able to work for my Congressman. I noticed others on this board listed their forthcoming manuscripts, work on a presidential campaign, and writing law briefs. Just how much work experience are you supposed to have? I will be graduating college before I turn 20 and don't have that many listings yet on my linkedin, in comparison to what others have posted.

Comments

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

I’m in the same boat as you but I think having limited work experience is fine when applying to law school while in undergrad. Law schools will understand this. GPA and LSAT are the most important even for top schools. It’s law schools like Yale and Stanford that place much more emphasis on factors besides GPA and LSAT. If you have the numbers you should be good.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

If you're straight out of undergrad I don't think they expect you to have a lot of work experience.

For my resume, I listed 3 jobs that were most pertinent to law school. Some schools have an "Employment" section on their app - I listed all of my employment history here (~5 jobs)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I have the opposite problem. I've been out of school a little over 10 years and my resume is condensed to only list full time and relevant positions but I think I have to dig down in the depths of my brain and some old files to figure out all the part time jobs I had in my past too. Seriously, who remembers a part time job you worked 1 semester by the time you're in your 30s?

Anyway, if you're going straight out of undergrad, no one expects you to have extensive experience. List as much as you can - any significant volunteer work or internships help too.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I graduated 2 years ago and have only had one "real" job. Other than that, a few internships and retail jobs at the mall are all I really have on my resume ... Sigh ...

You're young and going to be a K-JD so I'm sure they don't expect you to have done anything crazy at your young age. I agree with @Emily2122 that so long as your numbers are where they need to be, you'll have a shot at any and every law school!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

I'm a few years out of college and I listed eight positions. I think what you should try to show/highlight with your resume depends on your background. If you have a stronger academic background, list more of that stuff. If you've been working since you were very young and have a bunch of different experience, schools want to know that, too.

Keep it to a page, though.

3521 karma

@goingfor99th said:

YES. Best advice.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT GO OVER 1 PAGE!!!!!!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Technically you don't 'have' to have any experience.

It's good to have some though for your own experience though, imo.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Schools like work experience, naturally.

• loxoxoxoloxoxoxo Free Trial Member
    14 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

@goingfor99th said:

YES. Best advice.

Could you please elaborate on this? I've come across this article: https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/articles/2017-02-02/a-law-school-resume-that-made-the-cut, which pinpointed that you don't have to abide by the 1-page limit

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@loxoxoxo said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

@goingfor99th said:

YES. Best advice.

Could you please elaborate on this? I've come across this article: https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/articles/2017-02-02/a-law-school-resume-that-made-the-cut, which pinpointed that you don't have to abide by the 1-page limit

The 7sage admission course suggests that you should keep it to a page unless you're an exceptional personal.

3521 karma

@loxoxoxo It's just a professional convention. To be honest, I'm not sure why its a thing, but every employer I've ever had has told me to keep my resume to one page..

• loxoxoxoloxoxoxo Free Trial Member
    14 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @loxoxoxo It's just a professional convention. To be honest, I'm not sure why its a thing, but every employer I've ever had has told me to keep my resume to one page..

@10000019 said:

@loxoxoxo said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

@goingfor99th said:

YES. Best advice.

The 7sage admission course suggests that you should keep it to a page unless you're an exceptional personal.

Thanks for providing the background info. Opinions of different consulting services really diverge on this one