Redacted

1000001910000019 Alum Member
edited April 2020 in Off-topic 3279 karma

Redacted

Comments

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

I just left that section in from my normal work resume. It's not taking up a lot of real estate and they can just glaze over it if they don't care. On the off chance they do understand, maybe it sounds sufficiently impressive to give you a small bump.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

I'd say it's okay to list things that readers are unfamiliar with. If its labeled "programming languages", they'll get the gist of it. Besides, it makes you sound like a pro. :)

Also, if you happen to be using your programming skills in your law career (either because you'll be doing policy/data analysis or because you might work in tech law), make sure to make that connection from your experience to your career in your application somewhere. It would add diversity to a law school class. :)

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I used the format of resume from my friend who went to UC Davis. The last couple lines of his/my resume says (title) Skills & Interests:
    (Bullet point1) Languages:
    (Bullet point2) Interests:

I recommend you do something similar. It can do nothing but benefit you and make you seem more diverse and well rounded. Doesn’t matter that they’re not familiar with it.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I only know how to use one and only have taken a pair of classes on it and used it for a few other projeccts. Nonetheless, I listed it under languages as: Python(programming language): Intermediate Competency

Then for balance in the language section between natural languages and these tools of our invention, I decided I needed something else so I also listed that I knew how to use Stata, a statistical software package that I have experience in using.

If anyone asked me about either, I think I could answer basic questions and also could give a story of a project that I used them on. In either case, the story would probably be the same one since it covers both. For my senior sem in Econ, I needed to get data from the national vital statistics. I'd go into more detail in the actual interview. The problem was that the data was misalligned due to ommitted data and Stata couldn't read it right. So, I searched through the document line by line using Python to create a new spreadsheet with only the data that was needed, imported that spreadsheet into Stata, and used it to aid in performing my regression. Ultimately, I have probably done more complex regressions using Stata outside of that project and certainly done more difficult coding, but it was always dictated by the assignment. It is that freedom to actually use my skill set in a constructive matter which culminated in rejecting a null hypothesis which I decided on myself that I found rewarding.

Anyways, you always want to be able to talk about your resume. If you can think of a story you could tell about something you have done with the languages, I would include them and then spend some time before any law school interview brushing up on how to present those stories in a way that makes them relateable to lawyers and non-programmers.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Thanks for the replies. I included 4 languages that I'm smooth with. I've decided not to include languages that I don't like to work with.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    I only know how to use one and only have taken a pair of classes on it and used it for a few other projeccts. Nonetheless, I listed it under languages as: Python(programming language): Intermediate Competency

Then for balance in the language section between natural languages and these tools of our invention, I decided I needed something else so I also listed that I knew how to use Stata, a statistical software package that I have experience in using.

If anyone asked me about either, I think I could answer basic questions and also could give a story of a project that I used them on. In either case, the story would probably be the same one since it covers both. For my senior sem in Econ, I needed to get data from the national vital statistics. I'd go into more detail in the actual interview. The problem was that the data was misalligned due to ommitted data and Stata couldn't read it right. So, I searched through the document line by line using Python to create a new spreadsheet with only the data that was needed, imported that spreadsheet into Stata, and used it to aid in performing my regression. Ultimately, I have probably done more complex regressions using Stata outside of that project and certainly done more difficult coding, but it was always dictated by the assignment. It is that freedom to actually use my skill set in a constructive matter which culminated in rejecting a null hypothesis which I decided on myself that I found rewarding.

Anyways, you always want to be able to talk about your resume. If you can think of a story you could tell about something you have done with the languages, I would include them and then spend some time before any law school interview brushing up on how to present those stories in a way that makes them relateable to lawyers and non-programmers.

This is a really great point for interviews.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Dropping in to give an update. I had my resume reviewed by a professional consultant, and they suggested that I remove the programming languages from the Skills section of my resume. From their perspective it wasn't a skill that a law school admissions committee is interested in and based off my major/transcript it was clear that I know programming.