Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I retake?

jack.igoejack.igoe Member
edited December 2017 in General 544 karma

Hey everyone,

I just want to thank everyone for their support and helpfulness over the course of my LSAT journey. I started at a 150 diagnostic and was able to score a 165 in September and now a 169 in December. I attribute this improvement to the wholesome 7Sage community and superior curriculum. For anyone that hasn't had the experience of using the 7Sage curriculum, it is entirely worth it.

However, I did have a question about the February LSAT. My undergraduate GPA is around a 3.94-3.95 and I'm planning on blanketing the T-14 (besides Yale) for this year's cycle. Do you think I should apply now or plan on retaking in February? From what I've been hearing, most people would advise that I retake for scholarship/waitlist purposes but I'm worried about how a lower score could reflect on my chances when it's released in February. I've been really going back & forth on this and would immensely appreciate any of input.

Indecisiveness is killing me slowly
  1. Retake?19 votes
    1. Yes
      63.16%
    2. No
      36.84%

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I recommend applying now and retaking in February.

If it makes you feel better, the score might not be released until March.

Additionally, the highest score is what matters except maybe a smidge at Yale.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2017 23929 karma

You seem to only be going up! A 170+ with a 3.95 will have you sitting very pretty. I feel like you know you have a couple extra points in you, so totally worth a retake.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

If your PT average was in the low to high 170s, i would totally go for a retake

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

You know my take! I think you're more than capable of hitting in the 170+s - just them test-day factors are holding you back. With two tests under your belt, I think you can perform in the 170s come February.

I don't see any downside in retaking.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I vote also that you apply now but also sit for February. That’s what I’m doing as well. A lower score would only affect Yale (I believe they average scores) but nearly all other schools will only consider your highest scores. I don’t think you should wait to apply though, a lot of schools won’t take the February score. Maybe you could apply lower T14 now, the ones you have a shot at with 169, and save the upper T14 that might outright reject you until a little later (I’d say apply mid to late February so that it’s close to receiving your Feb score).

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

Thank you everyone for the advice! I think as of now I am going to sit for February. I just have to figure out how to go about applying for this year's cycle. I'll probably apply to most of the T-14 and then send them an email to evaluate my app without waiting for the February score.

@"Leah M B" If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing about applying in the meantime? I think there's a lot of sense in what you're saying about not applying to HSY yet but outside of those 3, what's your strategy?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@"jack.igoe" said:

@"Leah M B" If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing about applying in the meantime? I think there's a lot of sense in what you're saying about not applying to HSY yet but outside of those 3, what's your strategy?

The highest school I am shooting for is Northwestern. I have a 168 which is median there, so I’m just applying now and will ask for them not to hold for my February score. If I beat 168, then I’ll use it for scholarship negotiations or for wait lists.

I think once you are rejected (not wait listed) then you might be done for the cycle with a school. Not sure if there’s any possibility to overturn that. So might want to take that into consideration. If you feel confident about at least being wait listed, then I think you should apply now.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@"jack.igoe" said:

The highest school I am shooting for is Northwestern. I have a 168 which is median there, so I’m just applying now and will ask for them not to hold for my February score. If I beat 168, then I’ll use it for scholarship negotiations or for wait lists.

I think once you are rejected (not wait listed) then you might be done for the cycle with a school. Not sure if there’s any possibility to overturn that. So might want to take that into consideration. If you feel confident about at least being wait listed, then I think you should apply now.

Thank you so much! Good luck with the Northwestern interview if you haven't done that already!