Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reapplying next cycle

hlkoo1212hlkoo1212 Alum Member
edited January 2018 in Law School Admissions 130 karma

If you're accepted, waitlisted, or denied at a certain school and you apply to law schools again the next cycle, do law schools view the applicant in a bad-ish light? does it depend on whether you were accepted/rejected the previous cycle? I've read some anecdotal success stories on TLS and on 7sage forums, but I wanted to get more general facts on what it's like to reapply.

And I'd imagine that it's definitely recommended or required for you to send in a brand new personal statement?

Do you also need to send in new recommendation letters or can you reuse the ones you had sent in a previous cycle?

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

If you were to score higher on the LSAT and then apply next cycle, that would show schools how serious you are about attending. It would be a pro and not a con in any way, I'd imagine. Without a new, higher LSAT score, I'm not sure what else could be done to make you look better as a re-applicant. I'm sure there are other things, but I don't know personally what they would be.

You would definitely want a new personal statement. Maybe not completely new, but at the very least a refined version of whatever you submit this cycle, regardless of how much time you may have put into it.

I would say just use the old letters of recommendation. The CAS is good for 5 years, so I'd imagine schools are okay with LORs submitted at any point in the last 5 years? Not sure. I would check with schools.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

What's your reasoning for applying next cycle?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@hlkoo1212 said:
    If you're accepted, waitlisted, or denied at a certain school and you apply to law schools again the next cycle, do law schools view the applicant in a bad-ish light? does it depend on whether you were accepted/rejected the previous cycle? I've read some anecdotal success stories on TLS and on 7sage forums, but I wanted to get more general facts on what it's like to reapply.

And I'd imagine that it's definitely recommended or required for you to send in a brand new personal statement?

Do you also need to send in new recommendation letters or can you reuse the ones you had sent in a previous cycle?

At schools where you were accepted it might theoretically be a slight problem. They might think you are less interested in theor school since you were accepted before and didn't attend. A Why X school essay might help.

At the others I don't see how it could hurt. You didn't get in and reapplied. That signals to them that you were willing to wait a year to go to their school and are more likely to attend if accepted. However, given your app wasnt good enough to get accepted the first time you probably want to change something (ideally a better LSAT score), but a netter Personal Statement could work if you write one you like better.