Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When is late?

g00g00shg00g00sh Member
edited January 2018 in Law School Admissions 119 karma

Hi all, I've seen some conflicting information on this topic and have read that trends are changing, so I wanted to hear what people think about the current climate: is early January very late to apply to the T--14? As in, does it hurt your chances for admissions and scholarships significantly. I know that this time used to be considered late. Any links or reporting from specific schools' adcoms would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I don't have an answer to your question. I can speculate from past discussions, but I don't think that's meaningnful. I just wanted to point out

@Max_henry91 said:
    that applications are down

That's false.

• g00g00shg00g00sh Member
    119 karma

@10000019 thanks! Amended my question to reflect that.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Max_henry91 said:
    Hi all, I've seen some conflicting information on this topic and have read that trends are changing, so I wanted to hear what people think about the current climate: is early January very late to apply to the T--14? As in, does it hurt your chances for admissions and scholarships significantly. I know that this time used to be considered late. Any links or reporting from specific schools' adcoms would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Max --

So we need to bifurcate the ideas of being relatively late with being consider "too late."

Applying in early Jan isn't necessarily late, but it is relatively late as far as the T-14 goes. It isn't on the super-late side, so I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Being "too late" is a function of the schools you are applying to. Some will consider up to your June score for current cycle, and if it's high enough, so long as there are seats available, you have a chance! This would be undoubtedly late, however.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Ugh now you got me all panicked!

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Like others have said... "Late" is a relative term.

You're application is "late" if it is submitted after the recommended deadlines...

For some T14s you're at a "disadvantage" if there's a hold for a Feb score (and their deadline was proper to March 1 others don't care as long as your app was in by their deadline.

It all depends on your numbers... some people apply to schools in November and don't hear back till April. Others apply March 1 and are accepted within 3 weeks.

It all depends on the school and your Numbers. This is why Spivey, Killoran and others all talk about the importance of submitting your strongest app vs the earliest app.

It's doesn't hurt scholarships or admitance, IF your numbers are good for the school.

Think about it... why would a school say yes to a 50/25 student but tell a 75/50 student no because they applied later in the cycle.

You also have to remember schools don't have 250 and only give out 250 acceptances... they might send out 1000 acceptance for those 1000 seats.

In the end law school is all a numbers game. If they give you a smaller scholarship than you expected... call back before seat deposits to see if they'll give you more.

Now might you have a better shot if you applied in October? Maybe... is there going to be a HUGE difference if you apply today vs Feb 1? Not really.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

It is late if you wanted to apply for certain scholarships from NYU with deadlines of Jan 1 or certain early decision deadlines from places like Northsestern.

However, if you are just submitting a generic app to the Top 14 schools they are not going to be out of money or have filled their classes. Get all your apps in before the begining of February deadlines. Most other people will and the schools will assume they need to start filling up their classes while they can. There will always be spots left for exceptional candidates, but you want to be able to get in without them thinking you are exceptional. Those deadlines are when you start to be late enough that it will alter your admittances at some schools if you apply later. Being admitted to fewer schools will then make it harder to negotiate scholarships.