Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Poor Brain

cbyrns21cbyrns21 Free Trial Member
edited January 2018 in Logic Games 160 karma

LG are my absolute worst. I'll be taking the test for the third and final time in Feb. I've been studying for the test since July and for some reason LG KILLS me. I'm hiring a private tutor and looking for study buddies...I watch LG explanations and I'll get it after that but, when I try to attempt a new question on my own, I flunk. To the LG Masters: what is your secret? Please share. I'm desperate. My brain just isn't computing properly.

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited January 2018 13286 karma

I'm not sure I can give a tip that will "fix" things, but something I noticed for logic games is that the inferences that make the game work are always 1 step deeper. What I mean by that is something like a pyramid.

LG structure photo image1_1.jpeg

Rule 1 and 2 combine to make inference 1
    Rule 2 and 3 combine to make inference 2
    rule 3 and 4 combine to make inference 3

Then

Inference 1 and 2 combine to make inference 4
    Inference 2 and 3 combine to make inference 5

The majority of questions will be about seeing that when you take two inferences together, a defined outcome is then forced.

For instance if a game says 4 of 6 cities are to be toured. A B C D E F

Rule 1) If A is included, it goes third

and another rule says;

Rule 2) B and C must be included but can not be toured next to each other.

Based on the pyramid above rule 1 and 2 spit out some sort of inference.

That inference is; if A is included, then B or C must go 4th.

Why? Because by placing A 3rd and knowing that B and C must be separated, the only options left are slot 1, 2 and 4. B and C cannot both go into 1 and 2 because that puts them next to each other. Therefore B or C HAS to go fourth.

It is in the interaction between rules that inferences, and the games section, are won. I would spend some time trying to get use to seeing how rules interact on a board.

This probably all sound really obvious, but this is what helped me in the long run I believe.

(Plus foolproofing and J.Y.)

-Glen

• cbyrns21cbyrns21 Free Trial Member
    160 karma

@LSATcantwin I have never seen that approach before. I'm so glad I asked. Thank you for taking the time to explain your point. I feel like, with LG, I have to rewire my brain. That's why I think it's so hard for me. I really appreciate you helping out!

13286 karma

@cbyrns21 said:
    @LSATcantwin I have never seen that approach before. I'm so glad I asked. Thank you for taking the time to explain your point. I feel like, with LG, I have to rewire my brain. That's why I think it's so hard for me. I really appreciate you helping out!

Not a problem. I uploaded the picture of what I mean. By telling myself that the answer choices were usually 1 step deeper into the pyramid I was able to really get an understanding of interactions taking place in the games!

I went -0 on the Sept 2017 and -1 on Dec 2017!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited January 2018 3072 karma
    1. Variables
    2. Rules/Board
    3. Rules/Board
    4. Numerical Distribution
    5. Double-check rules
    6. Combine rules
    7. Exhaust rules (inferences)
    8. Apply rules/solve

You can apply that approach to LG universally. I have a journal of complete LG boards done using the above method if you think it might help you out.

Do lots of untimed sections to get fundamentals down. Cycle through games; don't repeat the same ones so often that you are bored of them. Do lots of timed sections in the month before your test.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@cbyrns21 said:
    LG are my absolute worst. I'll be taking the test for the third and final time in Feb. I've been studying for the test since July and for some reason LG KILLS me. I'm hiring a private tutor and looking for study buddies...I watch LG explanations and I'll get it after that but, when I try to attempt a new question on my own, I flunk. To the LG Masters: what is your secret? Please share. I'm desperate. My brain just isn't computing properly.

I'm not master, but since LG was my worst section too, I learned a lot.

Mostly, what I would tell you is that it all comes down to having a consistent process that works.
    Don't let timed pressure cause you to deviate from the process you know works.

Here are some of mine in an abridged version:

Setup:
    -Read with pencil down, use finger to skim and scan to get a good idea of set up.
    -Look at first question (standard acceptable situation) to get an idea/clue for what the game board will look like.
    -Write out rules neatly/check them off as you represent them on master game board
    -As you write each rule out, eliminate answer choices from standard acceptable situation question.
    -Number game boards to prevent confusion.

Questions:
    -Do questions that give an additional premise first, then global questions.
    -Draw game boards where there will be enough space; don’t back self into corner
    -Refer back to previous work/set ups to help eliminate answer choices to avoid needlessly brute forcing.
    -If you need to brute force, be strategic.
    -Skip questions and come back at end of set with fresh eyes.

Strategies:
    -Use left hand to cover up spent rules/focus attention on rules that are un-spent.
    -Take stock of remaining game pieces when stuck
    -Pay attention to all relationships on relative ordering games. Look at what relationships need to maintained vs. where game pieces can float.

Other than that, just keep plugging away and doing tons and tons of games. Exposure is key!

160 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    1. Variables
    2. Rules/Board
    3. Rules/Board
    4. Numerical Distribution
    5. Double-check rules
    6. Combine rules
    7. Exhaust rules (inferences)
    8. Apply rules/solve

You can apply that approach to LG universally. I have a journal of complete LG boards done using the above method if you think it might help you out.

Do lots of untimed sections to get fundamentals down. Cycle through games; don't repeat the same ones so often that you are bored of them. Do lots of timed sections in the month before your test.

Yes, I would greatly appreciate any additional methods that you used to help me out. I'm desperate at this point. Thank you for help!

160 karma

@"Alex Divine" Thank you for the solid advice. :)

160 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@cbyrns21 said:

Not a problem. I uploaded the picture of what I mean. By telling myself that the answer choices were usually 1 step deeper into the pyramid I was able to really get an understanding of interactions taking place in the games!

Dang! That's what I'm aspiring too! What schools are you applying to?

13286 karma

@cbyrns21 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@cbyrns21 said:

I am applying to a ton of schools haha. I actually used the program you suggested a long way back. (service2schools)

Basically I applied to all T-14 schools minus NYU and Berkeley. I also applied to USC, UCLA, Irvine and Notre Dame.

I started a savings fund a year and a half ago for applications, so I had a fair chunk of change. And as a super splitter (171 LSAT and 2.8 cGPA) my cycle is going to be super unpredictable so I want to make sure at least someone will accept me lol

160 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@cbyrns21 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@cbyrns21 said:

I am applying to a ton of schools haha. I actually used the program you suggested a long way back. (service2schools)

Basically I applied to all T-14 schools minus NYU and Berkeley. I also applied to USC, UCLA, Irvine and Notre Dame.

I started a savings fund a year and a half ago for applications, so I had a fair chunk of change. And as a super splitter (171 LSAT and 2.8 cGPA) my cycle is going to be super unpredictable so I want to make sure at least someone will accept me lol

I wish you the absolute best! Your LSAT score is a winner. I'm banking on a decent LSAT score (GPA isn't the most impressive). I'm pretty proud of my PS and military service so I'm crossing my fingers for the LSAT to give me the leg up. You're going to rock wherever you go!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@cbyrns21 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@cbyrns21 said:

Can I ask how you are using Service2Schools? I was matched up with someone, had one conversation and an email and now nothing. Do they offer any other services or do I just rely on the guy they matched me up with? Not sure how else to use them.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    I'm not sure I can give a tip that will "fix" things, but something I noticed for logic games is that the inferences that make the game work are always 1 step deeper. What I mean by that is something like a pyramid.

Then

The majority of questions will be about seeing that when you take two inferences together, a defined outcome is then forced.

and another rule says;

Why? Because by placing A 3rd and knowing that B and C must be separated, the only options left are slot 1, 2 and 4. B and C cannot both go into 1 and 2 because that puts them next to each other. Therefore B or C HAS to go fourth.

It is in the interaction between rules that inferences, and the games section, are won. I would spend some time trying to get use to seeing how rules interact on a board.

This probably all sound really obvious, but this is what helped me in the long run I believe.

-Glen

Is this way of doing LG a 7Sage way? Or your own way? Just curious.

13286 karma

@LCMama2017 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Then

and another rule says;

-Glen

Is this way of doing LG a 7Sage way? Or your own way? Just curious.

It’s how I conceptualize it. I use 7Sages method to do them.

13286 karma

@LCMama2017 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@cbyrns21 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@cbyrns21 said:

Can I ask how you are using Service2Schools? I was matched up with someone, had one conversation and an email and now nothing. Do they offer any other services or do I just rely on the guy they matched me up with? Not sure how else to use them.

I emailed them and they paired me with someone who has emailed me back many times. Maybe email again and let them know the person you are paired with is not working

160 karma

@LCMama2017 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@cbyrns21 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@cbyrns21 said:

Unfortunately, I didn't score high enough to use their services (which is why I'm retaking the LSAT, for many other obvious reasons) but, I'm sure if you e-mail them, they can help you out. :)

• pioneer321pioneer321 Free Trial Member
    edited January 2018 328 karma

All great tips above for LG. I just want to add a note about mindset, because I believe that to also be important.

I made it a point to remind myself that anytime I was seeing a new game, or getting stuck on one, none of it was new. I have done every game type, every difficulty level many many times, so there was literally nothing new that the test writers could do to me. Reflecting on all of the past progress really did help to alleviate some stress.

Also, and this may sound silly, whenever I got stuck on a game, I'd ask myself: "What would J.Y. do here?" Maybe I've just watched too many of those explanations lol. But thinking that would help me regain composure, and sometimes even remind me of how his explanation dealt with similar situation in another game.

Another thing I did, especially on Misc games, was to take my eyes off the the page and count from 1 to 10 to regain composure from the initial shock, and recollect my thoughts. I figured that loosing 10-15 seconds was nothing if this would help me stay calm, and it usually would.

Disclaimer: I didn't go -0 on the real test, I went -3, but for the long time my LG scores were absolute garbage so I will still count it as a win haha. Shows that real improvement is possible too. Good luck!

160 karma

@pioneer321 said:
    All great tips above for LG. I just want to add a note about mindset, because I believe that to also be important.

I made it a point to remind myself that anytime I was seeing a new game, or getting stuck on one, none of it was new. I have done every game type, every difficulty level many many times, so there was literally nothing new that the test writers could do to me. Reflecting on all of the past progress really did help to alleviate some stress.

Also, and this may sound silly, whenever I got stuck on a game, I'd ask myself: "What would J.Y. do here?" Maybe I've just watched too many of those explanations lol. But thinking that would help me regain composure, and sometimes even remind me of how his explanation dealt with similar situation in another game.

Another thing I did, especially on Misc games, was to take my eyes off the the page and count from 1 to 10 to regain composure from the initial shock, and recollect my thoughts. I figured that loosing 10-15 seconds was nothing if this would help me stay calm, and it usually would.

Disclaimer: I didn't go -0 on the real test, I went -3, but for the long time my LG scores were absolute garbage so I will still count it as a win haha. Shows that real improvement is possible too. Good luck!

That is an important point to make: a person's mentality is everything going in. The second time around I scored 9 higher than the first time so that must count for something. Thank you for the comment :)