Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone applying to Arizona State?

Don_DraperDon_Draper Alum Member
edited January 2018 in General 88 karma

I plan on taking the the LSAT in June. My first score on a practice lsat was 140 (low, I know). I have self studied to the mid 150's and just started this program yesterday, praying it can get me in the 160's. I have a 3.7 undergrad gpa in elementary education (a joke, I know), military experience, and teaching experience. What I am trying to get at is, will a 160 with these other softs get me into ASU or a school near the same ranking?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@teetime64 said:
    I plan on taking the the LSAT in June. My first score on a practice lsat was 140 (low, I know). I have self studied to the mid 150's and just started this program yesterday, praying it can get me in the 160's. I have a 3.7 undergrad gpa in elementary education (a joke, I know), military experience, and teaching experience. What I am trying to get at is, will a 160 with these other softs get me into ASU or a school near the same ranking?

Yes. With a 3.7/16x you will have an excellent chance at ASU and other similarly ranked schools. Your military soft will serve you well!

If you're starting from the mid 150s, you can 100% get into the 160s with 7Sage. Follow the CC, take notes, do the drills, and do what J.Y. says, and you'll be a pro in no time :)

Good luck

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

You have good chances and your GPA is high. Don't worry about the diagnostic score, just keep working and you'll be fine.

• Don_DraperDon_Draper Alum Member
    88 karma

Thank you for the kind words. I only started 7sage a couple of days ago, and spent about four hours on the program. I have been taking copious notes, then reviewing them at work. I feel as if I have gotten two weeks worth of self studying knowlege from just two days of 7sage. I wish I have found about it earlier.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@teetime64 said:
    Thank you for the kind words. I only started 7sage a couple of days ago, and spent about four hours on the program. I have been taking copious notes, then reviewing them at work. I feel as if I have gotten two weeks worth of self studying knowlege from just two days of 7sage. I wish I have found about it earlier.

Sounds like you're on the right path! Keep going and utilize the forum if you ever need help or guidance. Also, if you have some free time, check out all the wonderful webinars and Q&As with Sages!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Hey @teetime64 . I started with a 140 got to a 161 on test day with the help of 7sage. Definitely, work through the curriculum. I found the games section to be particularly useful as I was able to get -2 on LG for September 2017 lsat.

• Raphael RiveraRaphael Rivera Alum Member
    176 karma

This makes me so happy! I was admitted earlier in the season, although I will probably not attend. ASU is so beautiful (brand new building in downtown Tempe) and the people were the nicest that I ever encountered, I truly appreciated their kindness and generosity. You can definitely get into ASU with those softs and by dedicating yourself to studying. I got a 164 and was offered a nearly full tuition scholarship. Just work and you can achieve great things. Good luck!

• IamrapidashIamrapidash Free Trial Member
    36 karma

I was accepted ED at Arizona State!! I will be going there in the fall. My GPA is a little higher, but my LSAT was a 165. I certainly think160s would give you a great shot at admission. Good luck!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I have my eye set on ASU , too, and am testing in June. How funny :smile:
    For me, it's all about financials. I've read on several DB's that U of A seems to be a little more generous with scholarships than ASU. Granted, it's 44 vs ASU's 25, but not having debt/having less debt is a pretty important thing to weigh. Just something to consider.

164 seems to be the magical number for the purse strings from everything I've read.

How weird... I can't find scholarship specifics listed on their site anymore They seem to have changed some pages.
    My Google Fu found an older version discussing some of their scholarship programs, though. Maybe it will be helpful. It looks a lot like what was linked from their website when it was still up:

https://www.law.asu.edu/sites/default/files/jd_four_ways_to_apply.pdf

They have a lot of named scholarships as well.
    Good luck! Maybe I'll see you at the test! :smiley: Which location did you wind up picking?

• Don_DraperDon_Draper Alum Member
    88 karma

@xadrianas6x said:
    I have my eye set on ASU , too, and am testing in June. How funny :smile:
    For me, it's all about financials. I've read on several DB's that U of A seems to be a little more generous with scholarships than ASU. Granted, it's 44 vs ASU's 25, but not having debt/having less debt is a pretty important thing to weigh. Just something to consider.

164 seems to be the magical number for the purse strings from everything I've read.

How weird... I can't find scholarship specifics listed on their site anymore They seem to have changed some pages.
    My Google Fu found an older version discussing some of their scholarship programs, though. Maybe it will be helpful. It looks a lot like what was linked from their website when it was still up:

https://www.law.asu.edu/sites/default/files/jd_four_ways_to_apply.pdf

They have a lot of named scholarships as well.
    Good luck! Maybe I'll see you at the test! :smiley: Which location did you wind up picking?

Luckily my father is pretty well off and there is no need for loans. I just need the acceptance.

• benkim929220benkim929220 Alum Member
    32 karma

@teetime64 - I will be applying to ASU this Fall. My floor was also pretty similar to yours (143) and what really helped me was working on question types, game strategies, drilling weaknesses, etc., rather than just doing PT after PT. Currently in the mid 160's, and scheduled for Feb LSAT.

@teetime64 @xadrianas6x
    are you guys in the Phoenix area? if you guys are looking for study partners let me know!

2689 karma

@benkim929220 No, I'm way out here in BFE. Hours away from Phoenix. I wish that were a possibility!

edited February 2018 2689 karma

@teetime64 Might as well knock it out of the park regardless. Saving money, even if you have it, is never a bad thing. :wink: 164 is just high enough to get possible full rides.
    This is their site talking about their GPA and LSAT medians for the current class. You have to scroll down a ways, but it's there.

https://law.asu.edu/about/facts-figures

Should give you a better idea of what they want from their applicants, regardless of whether you're going for scholarships.
    I'd say with a 160, they'd probably admit you if you were willing to pay sticker or go in knowing scholarships may be smaller.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited February 2018 3197 karma

In in at both, Full to UofA and ASU was only 35% $$. They do offer increased $$ if you move to a binding admitance. That info comes in your admitance packet. So a 164 with close to full is usually paired with a high GPA. Most of the $30ks on LSN aren't per year but rather total amounts.

Apps are up 70% at ASU so it's a crazy cycle for them. I'm at 25% GPA and 75%< LSAT (166 currently).

UofA used to be the higher ranked of the two, but the Deans really advocated to advance ASU and is an all around great person. I haven't met the UofA Dean yet.

Employment statistics and opportunities are about the same for both schools and they'll be working together on a few initiatives this upcoming year.

If you want some more info DM me.