Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HELP *addendum for history of low standardized test results with good academic performance

isarap_mchisarap_mch Free Trial Member

Lately, I have been considering writing an addendum showing an explicit history of standardized test results accompanying a strong academic performance but I need help in deciding if this applies to me.

I grew up in Nicaragua and thus, I was not exposed to standardized testing until I was 11 years old. It's not part of my education foundation. In High School, I took the SAT a total of three times.
The maximum score for each section is 800 points:
Using the 2011 scale, I first scored 500 writing, 610 math, 560 critical reading meaning I scored in the 55th, 78th and 71st percentile respectively.
Next, I scored 530 writing, 550 math, 610 critical reading meaning I scored in the 64th, 62nd and 83rd percentiles respectively.
Lastly, I scored 490 writing, 550 math, 610 critical reading meaning I scored in the 51st, 62nd and 82nd percentile respectively.

The total score for each test put me around the 70th percentile. Meanwhile, I was performing very well academically. I never failed any of the 10 AP exams I took, which to me felt different from tests like the SAT because they were graded on what we directly learned in the classroom. I scored a 5 on the AP Calculus exam and yet I could not score anything higher than a 610 on the math section of the SAT. I received a 4 in AP English Language and Comp but could not score higher than a 530 on the SAT writing section. I had As in almost all of my classes.

When I got to college my SAT scores did not accurately predict my success. I graduated in 4 years with 2 different bachelor's degree. 150 credit hours instead of the normal 120. I had two majors and two minors. My final GPA was 3.967 on a 4.0 scale. I also conducted independent research, which I presented at a research conference at Harvard. BUT, I scored a 160 on the LSAT. I took it once because the other two times I had planned to take it, I had to cancel my registration ahead of time because of the Hurricane in Florida and for being sick.

Thus, I am asking for help in deciding if I should write an Addendum. I really do not want to make an excuse for my LSAT score so I only want to write it if doing so is acceptable for my situation.

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@isarap_mch
    I'm not sure if you're a good candidate for "non-representative performance on standardized tests". The admissions package here suggests writing it when you have a history of low test scores. You scored average on the SAT all three times. They do list "English as a second language" as a good reason for writing an LSAT addendum. Maybe that fits you.

I'd suggest looking for a professional. If you can afford to hire a professional consultant for an hour that's one way. If you can't afford it, perhaps your pre-law adviser could be helpful.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Any other examples of low standardized test scores? Aren't the AP exams considered standardized tests? You did well on those but like you said those are different than the SAT.

I'd probably recommend re-taking over writing an addendum. With the new unlimited takes rule, I think LSAT addenda should be a last resort. From reading what you wrote it seems like you think/know you could do better if you took it more than once.

Be that as it may, I think you at least have a decent reason to write an addendum, but I would see what a professional like @"David.Busis" has to say about it.

• isarap_mchisarap_mch Free Trial Member
    edited January 2018 23 karma

Perfect! Thank you both! Do you where is a good place to find an hourly consultant? @"Alex Divine" @"David.Busis"

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@isarap_mch said:
    Perfect! Thank you both! Do you where is a good place to find an hourly consultant? @"Alex Divine" @"David.Busis"

7Sage offers consulting for your needs ***

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@isarap_mch said:

7sage does offer hourly consulting as well. Get in touch with David to explain your needs. I think he'll let you know whether hourly or a package is a better fit for you.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@10000019 said:

@isarap_mch said:

7sage does offer hourly consulting as well. Get in touch with David to explain your needs. I think he'll let you know whether hourly or a package is a better fit for you.

Thanks for the clarification!

Editing my last post to reflect this*

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I don't think an addendum would really hurt. However, I would focus it just on the SAT scores and the college GPA and maybe the born in Nicaragua and not exposed to standardized testing part. I would leave out the high AP test scores; they seem like they will just confuse the matter and make the addendum longet. The college GPA is outperforming what any sort of regression based on your SAT test scores would have predicted. If possible, I would recommend attaching a copy of your SAT scores alongside the addendum. As with most addendums, it should be kept brief.

Additionally, the LSAT addendum will not help much. You are reassuring them you can perform in law school. That does not help there US News ranking the way a high LSAT score would. At every school you apply to that 160 which isn't an awful score will nonetheless be below median. The first thing the schools are going to see is the GPA LSAT combination and they will immediately know that accepting you will hurt their LSAT median and help their GPA median. No addendum can change that. A retake next cycle could.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma

@"Alex Divine" Thanks! I'm talking to @isarap_mch via email…