163 'Diagnostic' - Admissions?

stormstorm Member
edited January 2018 in Law School Admissions 261 karma

Hi!

I'm new here and am considering purchasing a full course for 7sage. A few years back while in undergrad, I took PowerScore's in-person LSAT course. Admittedly, I was not sold on law school at that point in time and did not make the most of the in-class time. Apologies in advance, this is a mish-mash post of someone looking for some thoughts/advice.

Now, nearly two years out of undergrad, I'm looking at applying in the 2018-2019 admissions cycle for a Fall 2019 start date. I took my first timed LSAT in over two years and scored a 163 (December 2010, as I had taken the June 2007 LSAT previously; -5 rc, -4 lr, -7 lg, -9 lr). I felt generally good about the test, which I took at a noisy cafe/deal with distractions while timed. I hesitate in calling this a diagnostic score, as I recognize I did technically take a course. But, 2 years later, it feels like I'm restarting the process.

I'm looking at taking the June LSAT with the goal of around 169-172+ as a final score. Does that seem feasible? Thoughts on using 7Sage given my diagnostic score breakdown? I currently do advanced analytics for a large retail company through a global ad agency, so I suspect my reading comprehension is a bit off given how little reading I do on the day-to-day.

Undergrad was in International Affairs/Journalism and I received a BA w/ Honors (3.79 GPA) and led University government for a year. I took several graduate-level courses in undergrad and held internships/jobs throughout (legal internship under Federal Judge in NYC, paralegal intern at a class-action litigation non-profit, intern at US Mission to the United Nations, global strategy intern and part-time consultant at a global advocacy non-profit for young people). I also received some distinguished awards (student leader award out of all University students, inclusive of graduate students and humanitarian award upon graduation). I worked my first full-time job for 1.5 years at an LGBT non-profit developing health campaigns for NYSDOH and, as mentioned, now conduct advanced analytics for a leading advertising agency in NYC. I'm on a young professionals board for a legal non-profit outside of work and lead LGBT volunteer events at the agency I work for in the city.

I have quite a mixed background, all of which have been tests helping me decipher whether legal practice is where I feel I can contribute most to the world, and I'm now decided that it is. So, here I go.. Taking the LSAT for real.

Thoughts on my ability to get up to a 169-172 given my 'diagnostic'? Thoughts on my getting into a top law school (wanting to get into NYU or Columbia and dreaming of Harvard or Yale) given my background?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Very realistic with your diagnostic, if you're willing to work. But if you are set on NYU, Columbia, Harvard, or Yale, I'd aim a bit higher -- in the 172-175 range.

• stormstorm Member
    261 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Very realistic with your diagnostic, if you're willing to work. But if you are set on NYU, Columbia, Harvard, or Yale, I'd aim a bit higher -- in the 172-175 range.

Super helpful, thanks! Yes - I recognize that Harvard or Yale would definitely require my scoring at a 172+, which is why I have them as 'dream' schools rather than schools I am set on. I have 5 months and plan to study hard.

Thoughts on 7Sage? Any advice on combining it with LSAT Trainer? Thanks again.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@uhinberg said:

+1

You're at a great starting point and have a realistic timeline. I'd plan on taking the LSAT in September if I were you and that would leave you December as a possible re-take. You could even sit in June if you make good progress quickly, which you might since you already have a start on the prep. For those top schools though, you should probably aim for 172 at the low end.

7sage is going to be a fantastic resource. Make sure to make use of the board here as you study. Everyone is so helpful and can answer a lot of your questions! I highly recommend the Ultimate+ if you can afford it. It comes with every single PT available for printing, tons of drill packets, and thousands of sortable questions in the question bank. If money is an issue, you can also start with a lower package and upgrade later. But Ultimate+ is an incredible value.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think you're in a really great spot! As @"Leah M B" said, Ult+ is the best value because of all of the extras you'll get. And judging from where you're starting from, I think June is a realistic date to set out to take. Will you be working full time while you prep?

• stormstorm Member
    261 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    I think you're in a really great spot! As @"Leah M B" said, Ult+ is the best value because of all of the extras you'll get. And judging from where you're starting from, I think June is a realistic date to set out to take. Will you be working full time while you prep?

Thanks to both you and @"Leah M B" (hopefully I did that correctly, haha). Okay, I'll consider it. It is quite an investment, so I think I'd rather start small and build up as needed with upgrades. I will be working full-time while preparing, which is something to keep in mind. However, I am disciplined and generally love the concepts tested on the LSAT (and miss them in my day-to-day analytics/coding work). So, I think I will be able to make more than sufficient time. Further, IMHO coding is all about details and endurance, so I think that brain training will be helpful when diving into LSAT prep

Any thoughts on my CV and whether that will help/hurt with getting into the schools I'm interested in? Any suggestions on building it up? I likely will aim for some scholarships that are public interest-driven (such as root at NYU).

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@stormhur said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Thanks to both you and @"Leah M B" (hopefully I did that correctly, haha). Okay, I'll consider it. It is quite an investment, so I think I'd rather start small and build up as needed with upgrades. I will be working full-time while preparing, which is something to keep in mind. However, I am disciplined and generally love the concepts tested on the LSAT (and miss them in my day-to-day analytics/coding work). So, I think I will be able to make more than sufficient time. Further, IMHO coding is all about details and endurance, so I think that brain training will be helpful when diving into LSAT prep

Any thoughts on my CV and whether that will help/hurt with getting into the schools I'm interested in? Any suggestions on building it up? I likely will aim for some scholarships that are public interest-driven (such as root at NYU).

Yeah the Starter course is a fine place to start if you have enough tests to work with.

I wouldn't worry much about your CV, tbh. Your GPA is good and with a 170+ lsat you'll likely be in at NYU. Make the LSAT your #1 priority outside of work. The fact you've been out of UG a couple years with some work experience will look good on your apps.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@stormhur 7 Sage and The LSAT Trainer work well together but I wouldn’t go through them at the same time. I used the Trainer for a different perspective if something wasn’t clicking from 7 Sage. I only briefly looked at the LG section. I find 7 Sage to be the superior source for LG. The flaw sections and RC from the Trainer were a tremendous help for me.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

170+ is definitely possible, but getting there by June is a toss-up. Last year I was you. 162 cold diagnostic, studied about 25 hours a week while working full time, tested in June and got 170. I kept studying and ended up with a 176 in december, it just took more time to nail it.

It's hard to know for sure from one PT, but our consensus is that it's VERY possible to bring LG errors to a minimum. That alone bumps you up to 168ish. Add in some LR training and RC practice and exposure, and you're there! Much harder than it sounds, but absolutely unequivocally possible man!

Starter package is your friend if your bank account is Not!

Good luck!

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

I think your timeline is definitely doable! Like you, I scored in the 160s on my diagnostic about a month ago. Since studying beginning then, my PTs have been in the low 170s and my LG (originally -8, similar to you) has gone down to a -1 or so.

It's hard work and you'll definitely have to commit, but you can do it----especially since you have room to improve in LG, as I did, and that is a DEFINITELY doable area of improvement. I haven't purchased the 7sage bundle, but I imagine that as it helped so many people here, and JY's videos have done wonders for my LG skills, it will really help you too! Best of luck!