Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jobs with Strange Hours and Studying

studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
in General 5254 karma

Is there anyone here with a job that has lots of afternoons/evenings and less business hours? If so, how are you dealing with this?

Comments

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I think @LSATcantwin and @"Cant Get Right" could help you on this!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

@"Paul Caint", Thanks for tagging them. The webinar yesterday was such a great conversation.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Is there anyone here with a job that has lots of afternoons/evenings and less business hours? If so, how are you dealing with this?

Most weekdays I work 9:00 am - 7:30 pm.

I study in the morning before work for 1-2 hours. I'm usually way too burnt out after a day of work to come home to do much productive studying.

My weekends are vital for getting PTs and extended study sessions in.

5254 karma

That's sort of late. Do you bring dinner to work? I'm really trying to reorient myself to morning study, as this is my best best as well most days but I'm struggling with winter hibernation and somewhat late shifts.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    That's sort of late. Do you bring dinner to work? I'm really trying to reorient myself to morning study, as this is my best best as well most days but I'm struggling with winter hibernation and somewhat late shifts.

I usually order dinner via uber eats/seamless or wait until I get home to eat. I really think it's best to study before work if at all possible, because I've noticed an extreme difference with respect to the quality of my study. I guess it may depend on your job though. I definitely study after work too, but I try to save that for reviewing things.

5254 karma

@"Alex Divine", Yes, there are energy dips following busy days for sure.

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

I work 3pm-11pm, just got off of 3 work days in row where I worked from 7pm-7am. Trying to get my sleep pattern back to getting up early in the morning so Im ready for this Saturday.

5254 karma

@"Paul Pederson", I'm in similar shoes with the scheduling challenges. I'll be thinking about you on Saturday.

• K 440244K 440244 Alum Member
    104 karma

I usually work 4:30 AM - 1 PM, so in my opinion, it is best when I study after work

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I agree it depends on the nature of your work. I always studied at night, but my job is not mentally challenging, so it worked out. Sounds like you would be better served studying in the am. I think it's crucial to treat studying early like a job. Wake up at the same time, get right to studying. It's easy to be relaxed or unfocused, but that's wasting time.