Retaking the LSAT - third time...maybe more? When should I take it?

I've been wanting to go to ASU law school for a while now...and it's feeling like a pipe dream. I know it's achievable and it's not like it's Harvard or Yale but I'm having a difficult time with my LSAT and GPA.

I have taken the LSAT twice by now, one was in 2017 February and February of this year. I'm a bit sad because I studied hard to aim for 160+ (a good acceptance rate for the law school of my dreams with my GPA), and I know for a sure that I did not get 160 on this February test.
Last year I got 152, and this year I'm expecting a solid 155 or even less.
With the admissions coming up, I'm still going to apply (again), but I'll have to wait until next year to apply if I get rejected. If I got less than 160 (I'm 99% sure I did, unless I guessed by pure luck), according to the law school numbers, I have about 0% chance of getting accepted.

So next year and the 3rd LSAT it is...
My main question is, when should I take the 3rd LSAT? Should I take it during December...or should I wait until 2019 February again?
Should I take the 3rd one in June that's coming up, and if I don't get the score I need, take a 4th one in December?

What are your guys' opinions?

Comments

• MsM1998_MsM1998_ Alum Member
    117 karma

Don't know how much time you have to play around with, but the first thing I'd do is focus on improving into my ideal score range, rather than working towards an established date. If you're forced on time, then writing in December will probably be best. Work very hard NOW, don't waste any time.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

The best advice on when to take the LSAT is: when you are ready. Basically, you should be consistently scoring on PTs at your goal score or higher. What were your PTs like before these LSATs? Did you just drop down a ton on test day or is that pretty representative of where you are at right now?

Ideally, the best time to take the LSAT is at the beginning of the cycle. So, September or December (or June/July if you are ready earlier). February is pretty late in the cycle to take it. But again, you really should take it whenever you are ready. I withdrew from a couple registrations because as the date came closer, I knew I wasn't where I needed to be. So I ended up taking it later than I'd hoped, but it was the earliest I could do it with a good score, which is much more important.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

The main thing is to know how you’re going to study different/better this time. You can get to where you need to be, but if you don’t improve your study habits, you’re going to have the same outdone no matter when you test. How long have you had Ultimate+ and how much of the CC have you been through?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"Angry Cats" said:
    I've been wanting to go to ASU law school for a while now...and it's feeling like a pipe dream. I know it's achievable and it's not like it's Harvard or Yale but I'm having a difficult time with my LSAT and GPA.

I have taken the LSAT twice by now, one was in 2017 February and February of this year. I'm a bit sad because I studied hard to aim for 160+ (a good acceptance rate for the law school of my dreams with my GPA), and I know for a sure that I did not get 160 on this February test.
    Last year I got 152, and this year I'm expecting a solid 155 or even less.
    With the admissions coming up, I'm still going to apply (again), but I'll have to wait until next year to apply if I get rejected. If I got less than 160 (I'm 99% sure I did, unless I guessed by pure luck), according to the law school numbers, I have about 0% chance of getting accepted.

So next year and the 3rd LSAT it is...
    My main question is, when should I take the 3rd LSAT? Should I take it during December...or should I wait until 2019 February again?
    Should I take the 3rd one in June that's coming up, and if I don't get the score I need, take a 4th one in December?

What are your guys' opinions?

If you are still struggling at all with logic games, I highly recommend foolproofing.
    https://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-score-on-the-logic-games/

I'll leave you to others for specific recommendations on LR and RC. However, whenever you take a PT you should blind review it. In your score range that should take at least twice as long as the test itself.
    https://7sage.com/the-blind-review-how-to-correctly-prep-for-lsat-part-1/

I don't think I would plan a February take. If I were you I would plan to take before Decemeber and retake in December or February. This gives you the opportunity to retake and still apply that cycle so the first take is lower stress and hopefully will let you maximize score by actually seeing how you did on the different sections(the February test is undisclosed so you only find out your score, not what questions you miss.) So if you are not scoring in your desired range by the deadline to signup for the December test at the latest, I would just keep prepping, but plan on applying the next cycle.

Even if you do get into ASU it is important to be careful about debt load. At a certain point you need to ask yourself whether the debt is worth it or whether you could reduce your debt load by going to a slightly worse law school. If you end up barely getting into a law school, you basically are subsidizing the scholarships given out to the stronger candidates.

So if you are dead set on ASU I recommend getting your LSAT up high enough to get a scholarship. If you are more set on getting into law school quicker I would apply to some schools where a significant scholarship is likely.

The go to the best school you can get into is more suitable advice for people aiming to get big law who get into Top 14 schools. Getting the big law salary emables them to pay off the exorbiant debt. If you just want a legal job which might be fairly low paying, it is very important to minimize debt.

• Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all your comments. I decided to take the LSAT when I'm ready, but preferably around Sept-December. This time around I quit my job completely, and decided to focus on my studies completely even though my budget will be tight. I feel like this is my last year to do so.

I've had the ultimate+ for about 6~ months or so. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't use the study as long as I should have and only really studied from December-January of this month, just like how I did last year. The only difference this time around is that I quit my main job in December to focus for the 2018 Feb test, but I thoroughly believe didn't quit in time to be ready for the LSAT.

I know a lot of people on here can do their jobs and also take the LSAT at the same time, but I personally could not handle it. My job was 12-14 hour work days 5-6 times a week physical labor. It was just really rough on me mentally and physically, and often found my self going home and just going to sleep, which is why I didn't study as much as I should have even though I knew I needed to bust my ass for 160s this round.

I did bust my ass for two months but obviously, it wasn't enough and I should have known better. I was scoring on my PTs 160s.

I will be aiming for 170+ on PTs from now on so that during the main test, at least I'll get around 160.

LG is actually my strongest section, but I have the most difficult time with LR and RC. ESPECIALLY LR. I'll be looking around the forums for more help on LR.

Thank you guys so much. I'm definitely going to try harder this time, and realized that I shouldn't really be worried about WHEN to take it per say, but to take it when I'm at least ready.

• pioneer321pioneer321 Free Trial Member
    328 karma

@"Angry Cats" said:
    This time around I quit my job completely, and decided to focus on my studies completely even though my budget will be tight. I feel like this is my last year to do so.

I know a lot of people on here can do their jobs and also take the LSAT at the same time, but I personally could not handle it. My job was 12-14 hour work days 5-6 times a week physical labor. It was just really rough on me mentally and physically, and often found my self going home and just going to sleep, which is why I didn't study as much as I should have even though I knew I needed to bust my ass for 160s this round.

I know you were asking for LSAT advice, not about personal money management, but if your budget becomes really tight, you could always consider finding a part-time employment elsewhere. That could potentially be a big difference for you in making ends meet, without putting as much stress on your LSAT prep.

Good luck with the rest of your prep!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Take it idealy when your PT average is about 3 points higher than your desired score, so that you will have a cushion. Try to aim for a score that is higher than the median of ASU. The applicant pool has become more competitive due to the retake policy and numerous other factors. You would want your score to be as high as possible so you can maximize your chances of getting in. Why is ASU your dream school? Are there other satisfactory alternatives for you?