Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Under represented Minorities-- where are you applying?!

Hello everyone,

I am an UMR (first generation Mexican-American) and a bunch of priority deadlines are this Thursday so I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking a certain school. I know the ivy leagues tend to be good for this but based on my LSAT and GPA of 159 and 3.24, I am not applying to those schools.

I am applying to UC Hastings (top choice), Chicago- Kent, UC Irvine, U of Wisconsin.... any other recommendations?
So far I have submitted apps for Pepperdine, USD and U of Denver.

Thank you,

Stephanie

Comments

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

Just Apply to the schools you want to go to...there's no school (that I know of) that is particularly "good" for URMs. I might be wrong but if you're applying to a school solely because its good for URMs, why bother? Just my philosophy. I'm a fellow URM

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    Just Apply to the schools you want to go to...there's no school (that I know of) that is particularly "good" for URMs. I might be wrong but if you're applying to a school solely because its good for URMs, why bother? Just my philosophy. I'm a fellow URM

My guess is the OP meant schools that give a boost to URMs. Certain schools don't care about URM status, while at other schools the boost can be significant.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited February 2018 3652 karma

IDK about URM but based on the CA-based schools you're applying to, why not apply to Loyola (Los Angeles) and Chapman? Santa Clara? Southwestern?

891 karma

In that case Based on my emails, again as a fellow URM, Washington and Lee has been emailing me to highlight their diversity program. GGU in California also...

891 karma

And...U Georgia and Wash U