Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BRing Reading Comp passages

@Sami I am following your BR process for Reading Comp passages. I have a question regarding that BR process for RCs. During BRing, do we read the Reading comp passage and then write the high resolution summary (HRS) while referring the passage at the same time. Like reading one para then writing its HRS , then reading the next para and writing down that para's HRS. Or is it reading the passage in one go then write the whole passage's HRS from memory, I find it difficult to retain the entire passage in my mind and then write its HRS ?Should i push myself to retain the entire passage details ?

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@"Do the right way" said:
    @Sami I am following your BR process for Reading Comp passages. I have a question regarding that BR process for RCs. During BRing, do we read the Reading comp passage and then write the high resolution summary (HRS) while referring the passage at the same time. Like reading one para then writing its HRS , then reading the next para and writing down that para's HRS.

More this. :) Read each paragraph. Write low resolution summary then high resolution summary then the next paragraph and so on and so on.

This is mimicking what you would be doing under time. But instead of writing it down, you would be doing it in the head.

I hope this helped.

How’s everything else coming along?

• Do the right wayDo the right way Alum Member
    181 karma

Thank you @Sami .Yes, this answered by doubt on the BR process.

I am also facing difficulty in identifying the function of a paragraph in a passage and the structure of a passage. It will be good if you can provide a video link. Writing function of a paragraph seems more like writing LRS.
    Can you pls explain the difference between the LRS and function ? Can pls give an example to explain these?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

I am also facing difficulty in identifying the function of a paragraph in a passage and the structure of a passage. It will be good if you can provide a video link. Writing function of a paragraph seems more like writing LRS.
    Can you pls explain the difference between the LRS and function ? Can pls give an example to explain these?

Hi @"Do the right way",

Have you finished the Core Curriculum? J.Y. explains how to make low-res summaries in detail in the lessons below:

Focus on a Low Resolution Summary:
    https://7sage.com/lesson/focus-on-a-low-resolution-summary/

Asteroid Satellite Systems - Paragraph 1 - Analysis:
    https://7sage.com/lesson/asteroid-satellite-systems-paragraph-1-analysis/

edited February 2018 181 karma

@akistole Yes, I had gone through this CC video explanation where J.Y. explains how to make LRS. I was under the impression that reading for structure is different from making LRS. I didnt realize that they are one and the same thing. I am sorry about that confusion.

10774 karma

Hey so Low resolution summary is the main point of the paragraph. While function of the paragraph is more like introduces the subject matter or introduces the critics argument etc.

For example for this paragraph:
    https://7sage.com/lesson/asteroid-satellite-systems-paragraph-1-analysis/

My low resolution summary would be:
    Asteroid can be accompanied by satellites.

Function of the paragraph:
    It looks like this paragraph is introducing the MP of the passage.
    (Because this is the first paragraph, I dont' know how this paragraph will fit into the entire passage. It's possible that the author will counter it. But so far so good).

When I do the read the next paragraph and do a low resolution summary, depending on how that paragraph ties back to this first paragraph I could amend the function of the first paragraph or keep it.

I know it can be confusing to see this and I don't see JY introducing this concept in a video. I hope the example helped. Let me know if this clarified or not.

181 karma

Hi @Sami thanks for your response ,
    With the example of the paragraph you gave, finding the structure of a paragraph is still a sort of vague concept since it was a single paragraph .

It will be a good idea if you can help me identify the structure of PT1.S1.P2 passage.
    Here, I wrote the LRS summary of the passage:

P1 : General theory thesis vs anti-thesis
    P2 : Specific example Cytologists vs Biochemists over a specific issue
    P3 : Cytologists and biochemists condescended each other in general.
    P4 : Transformation of both the disciplines and final synthesis
    P5 : Conclusion : Competition between thesis and anti-thesis is good.

Based on this, I am trying to frame the underlying structure of the passage:
    P1: MP of the passage
    P2: Presenting a real-time clash between disciplines
    P3: Not sure!
    P4: Presenting the Merger of the two disciplines...Not sure here also :(
    P5: Conclusion of the passage

Pls help! @Sami

10774 karma

Hi @Sami thanks for your response ,
    With the example of the paragraph you gave, finding the structure of a paragraph is still a sort of vague concept since it was a single paragraph .

It will be a good idea if you can help me identify the structure of PT1.S1.P2 passage.
    Here, I wrote the LRS summary of the passage:

So I wrote what I thought about each paragraph as I read them live.

Another way to think about structure is to think about how the paragraphs tie to each other. After I read each paragraph, I just ask myself how this fits in with the other paragraphs preceding it. So for the first paragraph its more like a hypothesis and depending on how the next paragraphs go, I am ready to change it. For each preceding paragraph, I try to think of how it ties back to each of the paragraphs preceding it. An advantage of doing this is as you read you will not get to the end of the passage and think what did I just read nor forget what a certain paragraph was about because each time you tie a paragraph back to the preceding paragraph you are thinking about what that certain paragraph was about. So by the time you get to the fourth paragraph you have thought about the first paragraph 3 times already and 2nd paragraph twice.

P1 : General theory thesis vs anti-thesis

P1: New scientific discipline has anti-thesis relationship to another.
    Thoughts: Seems like the main point is about this particular relationship between disciplines.

P2 : Specific example Cytologists vs Biochemists over a specific issue

P2: cell biology has an antithesis relationship to biochemistry
    Tie back to first paragraph: An example of the relationship stated in the paragraph above.

P3 : Cytologists and biochemists condescended each other in general.

P3: Both disciplines thought of each other as inadequate
    Tie back to first and second paragraph: Gives the viewpoints of the two disciplines stated in 2nd paragraph towards each other that exemplifies the relationship between thesis and antithesis in first paragraph.

P4 : Transformation of both the disciplines and final synthesis

P4: The antithetical relationship moved them towards a synthesis.
    Tie back: Because now they have moved towards symthesis it shows progression from how they were initially different in second and third paragraph and this is the result of the antithetical relationship stated in the first paragraph.

P5 : Conclusion : Competition between thesis and anti-thesis is good.

P5: The antithetical relationship is good.
    Tie back: Authors conclusion about the effect of this relationship which was stated in first paragraph which is exemplified in the rest of the paragraphs.

Based on this, I am trying to frame the underlying structure of the passage:
    P1: MP of the passage
    P2: Presenting a real-time clash between disciplines
    P3: Not sure!
    P4: Presenting the Merger of the two disciplines...Not sure here also :(
    P5: Conclusion of the passage

Pls help! @Sami

Let me know if this helped.

edited February 2018 10774 karma

Here is an example of a breakdown of one of the RC passages I did awhile back.

I wouldn't do the high resolution under time and would focus on low resolution, connect/tie back, and main point of the passage instead.

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-43-section-1-passage-1-passage/#comment-61796

181 karma

Thank you so much @Sami . Yes , the explanation was very helpful to clear the concept of structure in a RC passage.I will try to follow this as much as i can . :)

10774 karma

Thank you so much @Sami . Yes , the explanation was very helpful to clear the concept of structure in a RC passage.I will try to follow this as much as i can . :)

Let me know if you have any further questions! : )

181 karma

Hi @Sami ,I am caught up in a conundrum again . I am not able to stick to the time limits (10 mins) to solve the Reading comp passage. It takes more time for me to figure out Low resolution summary of each passage and Tie back .
    I am in initial stage of drilling the RC passages , may be that's the reason I am taking longer than it's supposed to.If I stick to time limit then I cannot think fast enough about the Low resolution summary,tie back,predict the next and comprehend the passage well enough.If i stick to the time limit and I don't do any of these steps ,it will defeat the entire purpose of this strategy.So I skip the time limit part and focus on doing just these 4 steps.

I am taking about 20 mins now to solve a RC passage.

Do you think after drilling 20-30 PT passages (without time limits)will help me to get through this problem? If not, what should be my approach to solve this problem?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@"Do the right way"

Just so you know, Sami is one of 7Sage's approved tutors:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/4760/7sages-approved-tutors/p1

If you would like to receive Sami's tutoring, you can contact her. She's listed at the bottom of the post above :)

10774 karma

Hi! :smile:

I am caught up in a conundrum again . I am not able to stick to the time limits (10 mins) to solve the Reading comp passage. It takes more time for me to figure out Low resolution summary of each passage and Tie back .

In the initial state of RC passages, its fine to take your time to get low resolution and tie back summaries out. Doing it this way is not inherently natural, so in the initial stages its completely okay for it to take a long time. Just make sure you stick to the right strategies and internalize them first before worrying about time. Speed will come once those strategies become a habit.

I am in initial stage of drilling the RC passages , may be that's the reason I am taking longer than it's supposed to.If I stick to time limit then I cannot think fast enough about the Low resolution summary,tie back,predict the next and comprehend the passage well enough.If i stick to the time limit and I don't do any of these steps ,it will defeat the entire purpose of this strategy.So I skip the time limit part and focus on doing just these 4 steps.

Definitely take your time to stick to the right strategies at the moment :).

I am taking about 20 mins now to solve a RC passage.

Do you think after drilling 20-30 PT passages (without time limits)will help me to get through this problem? If not, what should be my approach to solve this problem?

If you are sticking to the right strategy it should work out.

Also, as Akiko pointed out, I do tutor. I offer an hour of free consultation. If you would like we can just talk about RC/do a passage for an hour for free :). That way you can make sure you are going through the passage and questions correctly.

181 karma

Thank you @Sami . I will stick to the ways as you suggested. In case I need a consultation I will definitely reach out to you . :)