Running and Law - Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

vrendonvasquezvrendonvasquez Alum Member
in Off-topic 276 karma

Happy St. Patrick’s Day, 7sagers!

I started running consistently last Fall, and I’ll be running my first half marathon tomorrow and first marathon in November in NYC.

Do any experienced runners have any last minute advice for a first half marathon? Is anyone else running the United Airlines Half tomorrow or the NYC Marathon this year?

On another note, how do you guys think you’ll incorporate running in law school? I’m wondering if I can train for any major races while I’m busy studying.

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited March 2018 4850 karma
    1. Since its your first, focus on enjoying the day. Soak in the crowd, wave / give hi-5’s, thank a volunteer. Be happy with whatever time you finish with. You can obsess with ‘being fast’ at x-distance later in your running career.

2. During law school, just make running a priority. That’s the only way. There will always be a reason not to run. The trick is not to give in, just go run. A short run is better than no run at all.

ETA: Congrats on your first half! Come back and tell us about your experience (not your race time).

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

Best of luck tomorrow!! :smile:

I also started running a few months ago (super inconsistently lol). I'm wayyyy off from a half marathon but I definitely agree with the above post.

I'm not in law school yet, so I don't really have an answer to your question. But I definitely want to incorporate it when I get there. A part of me will probably be like "omg stop you could be studying!!!" But I think with any level of studying, you're going to need an outlet. Make running your outlet!

• vrendonvasquezvrendonvasquez Alum Member
    276 karma

@LSAT_Wreck. Yes, I will definitely try to enjoy the race and not obsess over my timing, which will hard since I’m incredibly competitive.

I will definitely share my experience after the race. What was your first half marathon like? :)

@xtinextine, I definitely agree that I’ll need an outlet in law school from just studying. And yes, there could always be an excuse for not doing something that may seem less important, but maybe I’ll just make running an extra homework assignment? ;) haha
    Running has definitely been a great supplement to my LSAT studying? Are you planning any races the year?

861 karma

@vrendonvasquez I totally go by that mentality! I work full time, so I try and convince myself running or doing some sort of exercise is also my "job." Which is hard since LSAT prep is also a job. :lol:

I've been using the C25K app on and off for a few months so I would love to do a 5k in my city this fall! I never thought I'd run for fun so this will be a major accomplishment lol.

• AndrewInSFAndrewInSF Alum Member
    44 karma

Nice work, that's very impressive! I've been running competitively for the past 8 years and staying consistent with training is no easy task. My biggest piece of advise for you is to focus on the second half of the race. I'm sure you'll have a ton of adrenaline pumping throughout the first mile, but make sure you're comfortable. The only thing I've found comparable to the difficulty in running after blowing up too early is the LSAT lol. Run a comfortable pace and don't be isolated for too long. Once you hit that 5, 6, or 7 mile mark, start picking people off. Best of luck to you!

276 karma

@AndrewlnSF, yup, I tried starting slowly, but I had a significant amount of adrenaline pumping in the first half of the race. I was exhausted by mile 12 and was happy to be almost done...haha.

What an unbelievable experience I had yesterday running my first half marathon in NYC! I felt like all of us runners owned the streets of NY, and even Times Square was reserved for us :). Haha...it was totally worth the training, and I’m so excited for my next challenge: the NYC Marathon this November. I would love to hear stories and/or any advice from those 7sagers who have ran marathons. :)

A few pics from yesterday ;) :

276 karma

@xtinextine , I have been using the Nike Run App and Runkeeper to track my runs and also for taking on challenges that they offer. :)

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

A big congratulations on your day! Give yourself plenty of time to soak in the happiness and sense of accomplishment fully before you turn the page to the next goal. Its a big win.

When you do start looking forward, focus on consistency with your training. Make it a habit. Weekend group / social runs are fun, but the weekday grind runs day after day are what get you to the finish line of a marathon. Good luck and congrats again! ?

861 karma

@vrendonvasquez said:
    @xtinextine , I have been using the Nike Run App and Runkeeper to track my runs and also for taking on challenges that they offer. :)

First off, congrats on the race!!

And thanks! I'll definitely check those out. :smile: