Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going on exchange to England, not sure how it will affect my LSAC GPA calculation

I'm 80% sure I'm going on exchange to the University of Manchester in the fall. I was looking at their grading scale, and they grade on a 0-100% score range, with 70%+ being considered Class 1 (see here: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/international/study-abroad-programmes/non-eu/course-units/grading-scale/)

I'm not sure how these grades will affect my LSAC GPA calculation, as I'm also converting from a 4.33 Canadian scale.

My questions are as follows:
1) Is there any resource that explains UK GPA conversion for LSAC? I.e., will 70% from a UK school be considered a C- by LSAC?
2) All transcripts from all universities, including exchanges, count in the GPA conversion, correct?
3) If my school reports only letter grades on a 4.33 scale, does LSAC convert based on the letter grade or the assigned percentage range for each letter grade given by my department?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I'll be honest. I'm not sure if LSAC released information about how they convert international GPAs into the LSAC GPA. Your best bet would be to contact LSAC to see what they say. They would have most comprehensive information about your situation

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

I’m pretty sure that a lot of schools don’t ask for the transcripts from such programs. I did a year in Oxford as an UG and only one school has required that I submit my transcript for that (Stanford, ironically enough). Granted, I applied to most of the T-14 but I have no reason to believe that this is not representative (in this regard). Enjoy the UK!—A.c.S

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

I should be clear that LSAC doesn’t ask for the transcript of any school abroad that you’ve studied at for a year or less. But you should double check for yourself on the LSAC website

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I'd call LSAC, then email them, and also ask your American school how they process the work students do abroad.

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

I did this - did exchange with a school in the UK for one semester. For me, the grades I received there did not need to be calculated toward my LSAC GPA because it was only for one semester (they only count these things if you stayed there for a full academic year) Call to make sure in your own situation, but that is what they told me when I called about mine.