Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Disclose Disciplinary Action with No record?

Eric25Eric25 Member
in General 720 karma

Hi everyone,
I wanted to get people's opinions on this. When I was at college I had a verbal disagreement with a public saftey officer that escalated to me writing a formal apology and doing some community service. Since I was the subject of a disciplinary hearing, I want to obviously disclose this information. I called my alma matter this morning and they have no record of anything, ever happening with me during my time there. I asked for a letter, signed by the Dean of Students, attesting to that fact for my records moving forward (which they are willing to provide), but how should I disclose this?

It was 8 years ago so my memory of it is far from perfect, so should I just say that I had a verbal disagreement with Public Saftey and state that my alma matter has no record of it, along with submitting the letter as evidence? I want to disclose it, but I also don't want to look stupid since I'm disclosing something that technically doesn't exist and no one has a clear record of. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks!

--Eric

Comments

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Ah, these sorts of issues are terrible. However, I would include it as an item on a character and fitness addendum if it was as official as you suggest and would just state the general facts regarding the case--about the altercation, the resolution, and the fact that there is now no formal record that you know of. I don't think that there's a need to rack your brain and engage in what might be speculation beyond those general facts. You can also say that you're more than willing to provide a letter attesting to that fact (i.e., that there is no record of the incident at your school) if requested. I think that this will pretty much satisfy your school and any future bar committee moving forward. But definitely look out for more thoughts on this--A.c.S

P.S. I had to do a similar thing for my interactions with police when Illinois told me that their inquiry turned up nothing as far as my record, though I know of several occasions in which I had had run-ins (but less than perfect memory because they have all happened a good while ago now).

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

@acsimon Thanks for the suggestion! Ironically I was racking my brain about it until this morning, but definitely now less stressful.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

In my C&F addendum, for a few schools that require disclosure of minor traffic violations, I had to do a best guess for 2 speeding tickets that I got almost 15 years ago now.

I put a line to the effect of: these incidents no longer appear on my driving record and I don't have documentation on them. But to the best of my recollection, they occurred in approximately (year) and (year) in (city) and the fines were paid.

I figure that's enough that if it came back up in either this or while applying to the bar, I've disclosed as much as I could and stated that I'm just relying on memory.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

If there’s no record, I really don’t see a need to report this incident. It was a long time ago. People get away with far worse.

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

Thanks for the input everyone! This makes it much easier to address in my future applications.

• lTexlawzlTexlawz Free Trial Member
    277 karma

As long as, you do not have listed on your criminal record. It is not issue. The law schools do care if you have something like a felony conviction or you were held jail for period of time and no charges were filed. There is a statue of limitation of 7 years. It makes unlikely that would be reported because it is past the statute of limitations.

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

@LSATSniper said:
    As long as, you do not have listed on your criminal record. It is not issue. The law schools do care if you have something like a felony conviction or you were held jail for period of time and no charges were filed. There is a statue of limitation of 7 years. It makes unlikely that would be reported because it is past the statute of limitations.

I would certainly hope not...I feel like my alma mater would have kept a record of it if they bothered to report it to the police lol I still have no idea why they didn't keep it...

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Just a note to say - I would still disclose it though. I mean, I had to disclose 15 year old speeding tickets lol. If somehow it came up in C&F for the bar and you hadn’t disclosed it here, that could be a problem. It’s not the crime, it’s the cover up, you know? Hahah. (Not that I think there’s a crime or a cover up involved here lol) Disclose everything!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited March 2018 3072 karma

Whether or not you should disclose really depends on the wording of the C&F questions on whatever applications you decide to submit. If your Dean of Students has no record of the issue, I doubt there is a record of it anywhere else at the school.

I would lean towards non-disclosure given the circumstances. I would imagine most C&F questions will be phrased in a way that will not require you to disclose, anyhow.

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Just a note to say - I would still disclose it though. I mean, I had to disclose 15 year old speeding tickets lol. If somehow it came up in C&F for the bar and you hadn’t disclosed it here, that could be a problem. It’s not the crime, it’s the cover up, you know? Hahah. (Not that I think there’s a crime or a cover up involved here lol) Disclose everything!

Oh yes I'm disclosing it! lol The truth shall set you free, even more so when the truth is not known because there is no record haha But I definitely agree I'd rather disclose it and have an admission officer shrug it off after 10 seconds of reading then it to come back and haunt me years down the road.

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    Whether or not you should disclose really depends on the wording of the C&F questions on whatever applications you decide to submit. If your Dean of Students has no record of the issue, I doubt there is a record of it anywhere else at the school.

I would lean towards non-disclosure given the circumstances. I would imagine most C&F questions will be phrased in a way that will not require you to disclose, anyhow.

That's a good point I've never looked at any C&F questions so I'll have to keep that in mind, thanks!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@Eric25 said:

@goingfor99th said:

That's a good point I've never looked at any C&F questions so I'll have to keep that in mind, thanks!

Definitely disclose if you think it may be an issue in the future, though. No reason to let something like this hang over your head.

My official counsel is 'caution.' :D

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

@goingfor99th said:

@Eric25 said:

@goingfor99th said:

Definitely disclose if you think it may be an issue in the future, though. No reason to let something like this hang over your head.

My official counsel is 'caution.' :D

I don't think it will be, but better to be "cautious" lol

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3788 karma

Although I dont have CF issues of my own, I do recall reading some applications stating that you should disclose incidents that were even expunged from your record. The best course of action is to reach out to the law school. Err on the side of disclosing because you dont want to even risk the offhand chance of failing the moral character part of the bar due to this.