Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can "should" disqualify an AC in parallel reasoning

nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member

If the stimulus is formal logic and does not mention the word "should" and an AC is almost identical but uses the word "should" [i.e. "A" should be exercised only to "B" or to "C"] is this enough to disqualify it?
IMO it should be enough bc if the AC continues saying we have "A" and its not "B" therefore conclude = "C" this is not 100% bc maybe the person is not doing what he "should" do

Is my line of reasoning false?

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma

Hey @nathanieljschwartz , hope you are well. Do you have a specific example of this from a question?

• olepuebloolepueblo Alum Member
    235 karma

Example? What does “AC” mean?

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma

@swamlepow it refers to answer choice.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Hey @BinghamtonDave i believe it was pt67 s2 q19 AC (E) employs "should"

• olepuebloolepueblo Alum Member
    235 karma

Think you are correct. “Should” is normative or prescriptive like “ought”, etc. It would be fallacious to consider analogous or validly infer a normative statement from a non-normative one and vice versa. How can you make a valid value judgement from logical relationships that only describe what is? Don’t think you can validly. (See Hume’s is-ought problem) Though I’m sure some normative statements inferred from rigorous relationships may be better than others...

Watch out for normative statements made within the logical relationships in the stimulus (e.g. if Sally is at the seashore then she should sell sea shells). Then it could be appropriate to have a normative element in the answer choice.

-Sam

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited March 2018 3072 karma

It depends on the other answer choices and how well they correspond to the stimulus but yes this will often make an answer choice incorrect.

See: 'is-ought distinction'