Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW Law, or Retake?

csoci001csoci001 Free Trial Member
in General 10 karma

Hey Guys,

Would really love some feedback on my predicament at the moment.
I've been studying for the LSAT for about a year, and took the February 2018 exam. After PT'ing in the low-mid 160's I was stuck with a 157..... (bombed LG... my best section).

Fortunately for me I'm a URM with a good gpa, and was accepted at GW with some money (waitlisted at Emory and WUSTL), however I feel I'm leaving points on the table, and the chance to attend a better school..

If I were to retake I would yet again have to delay law school by another year. Anybody have any advice to give on my situation? Would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I think it depends on what you want to do with your law degree. If you just want to practice law (be an attorney at a firm, etc.) then GW is a great school and you will get a job (assuming you're in good standing in your class).

But if you want to pursue something besides practice - federal clerkships, public interest, academia, etc. - then I would retake and reapply.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8705 karma

... however I feel I'm leaving points on the table, and the chance to attend a better school..

If I were to retake I would yet again have to delay law school by another year. Anybody have any advice to give on my situation? Would really appreciate it.

If you feel like you left points on the table, retake. Run a diagnostic on precisely what went wrong with LG. Who knows, things can turn around quickly and you might be looking at another 10 or so points on your retake.

@"Paul Caint" gave some excellent advice also*

• csoci001csoci001 Free Trial Member
    10 karma

Thanks guys. Interested more in firm type work. What really concerns me is debt. Would probably be graduating with about $180,000 (assuming I don't receive any other private offers).

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

I would absolutely retake. You can definitely do better, and if you applied with just a Feb score, you also applied late. Retake over the summer or in September and apply before Thanksgiving. As a URM with a great GPA and a 165+ LSAT (which should be totally doable if you were PTing in the 160s) you should be in the running for not insignificant scholarships at lower T14s (if not higher).

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8705 karma

This is a great time to plug the June/July study group on 7Sage, we meet on Tuesday evenings. I believe the group is technically a June group, but some of us are taking in July. If a retake is in your future, please feel free to join us. The group forming on these calls is an excellent_ resource to assist with questions.

Best of luck moving forward, keep us posted
    David

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Retake especially since you bombed your best section and since LG is the most gameable section in the LSAT. Figure out what when wrong in that LG section. Maybe you misdiagrammed a rule, perhaps you didnt make a key inference

• csoci001csoci001 Free Trial Member
    10 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    This is a great time to plug the June/July study group on 7Sage, we meet on Tuesday evenings. I believe the group is technically a June group, but some of us are taking in July. If a retake is in your future, please feel free to join us. The group forming on these calls is an excellent_ resource to assist with questions.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into it.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@claudiaasocias said:
    Thanks guys. Interested more in firm type work. What really concerns me is debt. Would probably be graduating with about $180,000 (assuming I don't receive any other private offers).

A year is significant. However, from a financial perspective, that's way more money than you'd be making your first year anyway. 10 more points and you can get a full ride from an even better school than GW. Not to mention the money and experience from another year of work (outside of law).