Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Average Score

EmmetropicEmmetropic Free Trial Member
edited April 2018 in General 164 karma

This may be a silly question, but is it possible that schools that currently take the highest score may start averaging again in the future? I will be retaking the test soon but plan on applying in a few years due to work commitments.

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited April 2018 1804 karma

Nothing is impossible! That said, probably not for a while. Law schools might be able to do so if the number of applicants doubles or triples. But I don't see it happening anytime soon.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

The schools follow US News since it's rankings determine where we apply. These rankings currently use the highest score which is why law schools use the highest score for admissions.

The average is actually a more reliable predictor of law school grades which is why a small handful of schools kept looking at the average for a long time.

I guess if US News decided they wanted the average reported, law schools would go back to using the average. I'm not sure why US News used the highest score over the average to begin with so I don't really know what could make them change.