Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Difference in scores when drilling vs. full PT.

Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
in General 503 karma

So I'm registered for the June LSAT, and I've now begun the final stretch of my LSAT studies and I've noticed a weird phenomenon.

I pretty much invariably do better when I drill a single section (timed, test center conditions) vs. when I do the whole exam timed. It's got me puzzled, because I can't figure out why I'm scoring less when I do a timed exam vs. just the timed single sections.

It doesn't seem to be from mental fatigue, as it doesn't matter whether the section comes 1st or 5th, I just seem to miss 1-2 more questions when doing a full PT. In BR I can usually find the correct answer in under a minute but during the exam I guess I just have a stroke? Idk

What is the diagnosis for this problem? Just do a bunch of PTs? This forum seems pretty opposed to the idea of doing any more than 3 timed PTs per week, but I honestly don't know how to study any more because when drilling I go -0/-1 but on timed PTs I go -1/-3 on my LR and RC sections. The drilling doesn't seem to be productive any more.

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Do you get nervous or find that your mind wanders during the actual test? It could be the mindset that you go into section drilling vs PT's

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    503 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme

Usually don't feel nervous but I do get tilted when I feel I've bombed a games section. Though it doesn't seem to matter whether games are 1st or 4th section

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    edited May 2018 6045 karma

Wait, so are you saying this for a specific section (LR, LG) or any? Because if any then it's definitely fatigue. 3 hour test will tire you out more than doing one section timed.

If that is the case then I've read that you can raise your test taking endurance by doing two full timed tests back to back.

503 karma

@keets993

Only LR/RC and it doesn't seem to follow any rhyme or reason. If it was fatigue I would expect it to be my 3rd/4th sections but those are usually my best sections

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

@"Return On Inference"

If it was fatigue I would expect it to be my 3rd/4th sections but those are usually my best sections

Interesting. What's your warm up like? If those are your best two maybe try doing a section or two before warm up and see how that impacts your score.

• KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma

Do you grade your full PT after you finished all 4/5 sections? Or do you grade after you finish each section?

503 karma

@Kateryna I grade after I finish the PT and blind review