Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I train myself to eliminate the wrong ANSWERS for LR

kwoods15kwoods15 Free Trial Member
edited August 2013 in Logical Reasoning 28 karma
I am having trouble figuring out the hard LR questions. I want to be able to eliminate all the answers that I know are wrong, so I can leave the correct answer. Any tips?!? I hope I have made sense.

Comments

• CJ ShinCJ Shin Free Trial Member
    302 karma
    Hey Kwoods,
    Unless you are dealing with SA questions or MBT questions with hard logic, watch out for answer choices that contain EXTREME words such as ALL and NEVER.
    This is especially true for MSS questions.
    Also, watch out for prescriptive answer choices such as "X should do something.."
    LSAT writers sometimes lead you to make an additional jump with these kind of wrong answer choices.
  • JRRLDG808JRRLDG808 Alum Member
    49 karma
    In the harder sufficient assumption questions the test writers like to add a answer choices that are necessary assumptions for the argument (vice versa for necessary assumption).
  • KK Free Trial Member
    345 karma
    Eliminate answers that:

-make logical errors.

Say you're doing a MBT and the stimulus says A--> /B. Eliminate an answer that incorrectly attempts to negate this logic, such as /A --> B. Mistaken negations and reversals are easy to eliminate.

-attempt any of the "flaws" discussed by JY for answering flaw/vulnerability questions.

If a stimulus says that due to A, B happened and your goal is to find the flaw, you can eliminate answers that deal with source attacks or mistaken proportionality. In this case you want to see if there's an answer that shows maybe C caused it or that A and B have nothing in common.

Have you gone through the syllabus? As you go through it you will learn how to eliminate wrong answers. JY does this for nearly every question.
  • kwoods15kwoods15 Free Trial Member
    28 karma
    Thank you guys for your insightful responses. I have a second Q now. For two part questions on LR is it better to reread the passage again or try to answer the Q from memory. I have found that it is faster to do it from memory, however I am prone to mistakes. How do you do it guys?
  • KK Free Trial Member
    345 karma
    What do you mean by 2 part?

• kwoods15kwoods15 Free Trial Member
    28 karma
    It will look like this 1-2, and you will have two questions based on the single passage that it gives you. EX: q 1 is a weakening and Q 2 is an NA.
  • KK Free Trial Member
    345 karma
    I guess you have to just remember what it says.

Its like any other question. First, see what the question is, then find the conclusion (if it has one) and see how it is supported.
  • CJ ShinCJ Shin Free Trial Member
    302 karma
    modern lsats don't have them anymore so don't worry too much about them.