Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Draws a conclusion based on an "ambiguous notion" of knowledge?

lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
edited June 2018 in General 894 karma

Without giving too much away as I'm still BR-ing LSAT C2, can someone please elaborate what such a flaw is? I don't think I've seen this type of flaw description before. In S3 Q18 of this preptest, one of the answer choices is that the argument "Draws a conclusion based on an ambiguous notion of knowledge." What's that mean? lol can someone give me an example in laymen's terms that can illustrate what this flaw would look like?

Comments

• NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    620 karma

Oh sweet, I’ve actually been reviewing (and adding) my notes on logical fallacies this morning lol.

The one you are describing is Equivocation Fallacy .
    (I found it really helpful to review the “19 argument flaws” lesson in the CC)

JY gives the example of the term “public interest”.
    What does it mean?
    Is it representing what the best interest of the public is? (Roads, schools, etc.)
    Is it representing what the public is interested in? (Celebrity gossip)

Basically, the meaning of a term is being inconsistent because there are multiple meanings.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited June 2018 1804 karma

It's the definition flaw. If you have been doing all PTs sequentially as indicated by 7Sage, there is absolutely no way you did not come across this flaw before; it appeared as a correct choice at least once and as a wrong answer choice at least five times. In fact, it even has a question stem of its own, the good ol' "misinterpreted" questions. If you want a solid example of this flaw, see PT59 S2 Q15.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

OHHHH. okay. yeah this flaw is common lol i literally misread the answer choice lol. I just feel like it's been worded differently. Instead of the word "notion," I've seen it used with other words before and grew accustomed to that I guess lol whoops thanks though @BrianSeo @FixedDice

@BrianSeo i have been wanting to go through the cc again. i think reviewing the advanced logic really helped me tenfold

• NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    620 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:
    OHHHH. okay. yeah this flaw is common lol i literally misread the answer choice lol. I just feel like it's been worded differently. Instead of the word "notion," I've seen it used with other words before and grew accustomed to that I guess lol whoops thanks though @BrianSeo @FixedDice

@BrianSeo i have been wanting to go through the cc again. i think reviewing the advanced logic really helped me tenfold

Oh yea for sure! I’ve been starting off my days by reviewing notes on general and specific theories from the CC and I’ve noticed slight improvements in timing and accuracy—of course, not discounting the fact that I’ve still got MUCH work to do haha.

Flashcards for valid/invalid forms are always the first thing I do (usually takes a minute or two to get through a few rounds).