Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Theoretical Logic - 7Sage Forum

Theoretical Logic

elevensageelevensage Alum Member
in General 6 karma

Logic is a language. In order to understand the ideas on the LSAT I find it almost unavoidable to study the theory behind it. Those who have taken theoretical logic classes previous to the LSAT have performed extremely well compared with those who have been only recently introduced to the world of logic. I have gathered this information from those around me (myself included) who have scored well into the high 160s and 170s. I propose that those struggling with understanding the language and ideas behind the LSAT read the following books:
Introduction to Logic - P. Suppes (1957)
Logic Made East- Deborah Bennett
The Art of Thinking in Systems- Steven Schuster
Introduction to Traditional Logic - Scott M Sullivan

If anyone else with a good score on the LSAT can provide people with other good books that can help us understand Logic, it would be extremely helpful. There is also a wonderful reddit post describing this process from a user who earned a 180: https://www.reddit.com/r/LSAT/comments/8dpw3p/how_i_got_my_180_tips_for_the_lsat/

Comments

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I think if I do any more logic than 7Sage, my brain will explode.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

I'm sure these books are great! Unfortunately, many of us have a finite amount of time to study for the LSAT each day and it might be difficult to read 3 complicated books on top of all the other LSAT stuff that we're doing. I think that the fundamentals are of crucial importance but the marginal utility of time spent studying logic is probably going to drop off once we master the basics. Even the hardest lsat questions have fairly simple logical relationships.

• elevensageelevensage Alum Member
    6 karma

Well> @Ohnoeshalpme said:

I'm sure these books are great! Unfortunately, many of us have a finite amount of time to study for the LSAT each day and it might be difficult to read 3 complicated books on top of all the other LSAT stuff that we're doing. I think that the fundamentals are of crucial importance but the marginal utility of time spent studying logic is probably going to drop off once we master the basics. Even the hardest lsat questions have fairly simple logical relationships.

I see what you're saying. Some of the topics are fairly complex, but if you scan through the TOC from the bookS and pinpoint all the relevant information you won't have to delve that deep into stuff that isn't relevant. As a personal anecdote, I work from 9-5 in a corporate law firm in downtown DC and I still make time to read through these books. I can scan through them when I'm in transit on my way to work or coming home on the Metro. I find (well, make) time at home to study. I know its a huge sacrifice but it's only for a couple months. If you budget your time on the weekdays properly you can still hang out on the weekends, ya know.