Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions to ask myself while reading economist articles for reading comp prep?

etrophieetrophie Alum Member

Author POV
Purpose of paragraphs
Rough structure
What else?

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Overall main point and overall purpose

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I would actually advise against reading other pieces of writing in hopes of analogously improving
    your RC skills. It did not work for me. Instead read RC passages. It doesn't matter if you have done them already. Read them again. There is no better RC prep than doing RC.

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    I would actually advise against reading other pieces of writing in hopes of analogously improving
    your RC skills. It did not work for me. Instead read RC passages. It doesn't matter if you have done them already. Read them again. There is no better RC prep than doing RC.

I endorse this comment. The questions will show you what you need to focus on in your reading: reading for structure.

You want to:
    1. Find author's point and note other viewpoints in the passage
    2. Understand how point is supported/used in the passage.

Think of reading comp as a long LR passage.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Some pointers -
    for RC make sure to know the diff question types they ask, reread certain lines if you dont understand them while you are going through the passage( this will waste less time then having to constantly refer back to the passage because you understood it when you read it)

don't mark up the passage too much just pull out the key ideas- authors view, tone, Main point, point of view, other views ect

general - main idea (Point of view and thesis) , purpose (what the author wants to accomplish) / tone/attitude (what is their view on the topic how do they feel about it )

specific- will be asked to retrieve certain info from the passage (in this case reread not only those lines given but a few before and after) . purpose (why the author wrote the passage/included facts) , the structure of the whole passage and the aim of each paragraph , infer/imply /suggest ( typically not found the passage but will require an inference)

complex/application- weaken the argument /strengthen

analogy situation- will present a different argument and you will have to match it to what you read

RC- is one of the sections that timing is really important - make sure to do timed tests once you have the basics down so that you can figure out if you want to do all questions quickly/ most questions slower or a combination - depends on you

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@JustDoIt said:

I think the nature of other types of materials is different than the way RC passages are set up on the LSAT. I tried that route and threw in the towel, so to speak.