Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Narrowing Down to Two Answer Choices then Choosing the Wrong Answer. Help!

lsat2020-1-1lsat2020-1-1 Core Member
edited June 2018 in General 46 karma

I took my first preptest yesterday and I was disappointed with my score. For all of the questions that I got wrong I was able to eliminate all of the answer choices that I knew for sure were wrong. Then, I narrowed the answer choices down to two. However, I kept picking the wrong answer choice out of the two. This is frustrating because the correct answer is always one of the two that I was able to narrow it down to. However, I kept picking the wrong answer choice instead of the correct one. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, what can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Is this your first PT ever or is this your first post-CC PT?

• lsat2020-1-1lsat2020-1-1 Core Member
    edited October 2019 46 karma

It was my first preptest (preptest 36).

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

If you are down to two that means your process of elimination isn't too bad -
    For me when I was picking the incorrect ones or getting confused by the choices I didn't know the material well enough. When I did it timed I found my self picking the correct one and moving on because I couldn't afford to mull over the answer choices. Evaluate your thought process and watch the video explanations, after that if you notice a certain type you are getting wrong review it from the CC.

It's quite normal that your path to your ideal score is going to ebb and flow; don't get frustrated. sending good vibes your way and hopefully you reach your target score.

• 439 karma

I did that and still do sometimes. You're eliminating the real bullshit ACs which is good, but now you're having trouble choosing between the correct AC and the trap AC. Working on reading the stimulus and AC closer and understanding the parameters of each question type should help.

With the closer reading you're going to be less susceptible to missing things like picking an AC that talks about all cars when the stimulus talks about German cars and stuff like that.

Understanding parameters of the question types is going to help you understand what is fair game for an answer and what is off limits. Like not attacking premises in weakeners.

I think this part of your study needs to come from you though. You should keep track of every question that tricked you into picking the wrong answer and make sure you think about why and how you got tricked so that it happens less and less.