Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on how to re-approach

janelleengjanelleeng Alum Member

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any advice on how to re-approach logical reasoning questions when you've pretty much did every question and sort of remember the answer? How do you about doing these questions again? I made the mistake of burning through all of them and now I'm studying them again for a retake. I'm kind of worried because people are telling me that I won't improve much since I don't have any fresh new questions that I haven't seen before. Please tell me this isn't true lol

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8705 karma

I would approach by eliminating every answer choice that is not correct: working wrong to right. So if you know the credited response is (B), try articulating explicitly why A, C, D and E are wrong. This is what I do.

• janelleengjanelleeng Alum Member
    154 karma

Thank you @BinghamtonDave Do you find yourself going at a faster pace when you do this approach on future prep tests?

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8705 karma

@janelleeng , not necessarily, but it is a skill that we can employ on future problems where we might not be able to go searching for the credited answer with confidence. Remember, there are two basic ways of getting to the credited response: pinpoint the exact answer, choice choose it and move on, or eliminate the wrong ones and select the remaining one. For me on LR, I'm probably doing the former 18-19 times on a section and the later 5-7 times. Both skills for me have been necessary for my progress.

My more general point here is that there seems to me to be a bit of a misapprehension many hold about when an older question is spoiled: I'm of the opinion that we can still get a ton out of these older questions we've seen before. This situation is not ideal, but all is not lost. Ideally, there is nothing more valuable for placing our current progress than a fresh section/fresh PT, but going back and really going in depth into the wrong answer choices can certainly pay dividends moving forward.

David