Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low-stress tools to help with LR

joezim425joezim425 Alum Member

I’ve recently taken up sudoku’s and reading Scientific American in my spare time when I’m not studying to supplement my training and help my brain get used to the mindset needed for LG and the science selection of RC, respectively. I saw these suggestions mentioned briefly in one of the lessons in the core curriculum, and honestly I am pretty sure that it has improved my performance. I know that these methods have certainly made me feel more comfortable when I’m doing my PT’s. Does anyone have suggestions for similiar low-stress, supplemental methods to help with LR sections? Thanks!

Comments

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I think something that helps with RC and LR in general could be watching youtube videos on topics that appear a lot that you may not be comfortable with - earthquakes (they sure love these), biology, agriculture, physics, art history. I've found that with some LR questions too if it's a topic I'm not familiar with and I'm down to two answer choices, one that Im prettyyy confident is correct because its so parallel to every other type of question but there's one that could work if I knew the topic better, I'm hesitant to eliminate it. So just increasing familiarity works.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 1777 karma

To go along with what @keets993 said, Bill Nye the Science Guy is on Netflix haha. I really hate geoscience and space, so I watched a few 20-ish minute episodes to learn enough about them to avoid getting completely freaked out when I see those topics in LR questions. Also, I like to start my day with the day's NY Times crossword puzzle while chugging caffeine. By the time the caffeine kicks in, my brain has already started to get into problem-solving mode. You can subscribe to the crosswords online for $3.47/month. (Btw, they're the easiest on Mondays and get harder throughout the week.)

https://www.nytimes.com/subscription/games/lp8J6KQ.html?campaignId=4QHQJ

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

How about old LR questions from tests you have already done? You already know the answer so they are pretty low stress. Additionally they are so short that you can pretty much do one whenever (during a commercial break, before a meeting, while food is in the microwave, ect.).

• joezim425joezim425 Alum Member
    90 karma

Thanks all I will definitely use some of these! Bill Nye Saves the World has been sitting in my Netflix queue for awhile so now is probably a good time to catch up.