Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutor Hours

glaezzoglaezzo Free Trial Member
in General 98 karma

I’m trying to determine how much money studying with a tutor will cost me. I understand that they charge by the hour; however, I don’t necessarily know how many hours on average one spends with a tutor. I know this number is probably arbitrary but, if you did use a tutor, about how many hours did you spend with him/her? Thank you!

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited July 2018 8694 karma

I think the first question would be to deduce where an individual is in their studies. Someone who lacks the fundamentals is going to need more time with a tutor than someone who enlists a tutor to go from a consistent -4 in LG to a consistent -1 in LG for example. (Generally)

I think your question is also contingent upon what work the individual who enlists a tutor does to supplement their tutoring sessions. Meaning if an individual and tutor went over stetegies for NA questions on a Saturday night for an hour and the individual then drilled and pulled apart NA questions Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday of the following week on their own it could be that that individual spent 2 one hour sessions going over NA questions with a tutor and 15-18 hours going over NA questions themselves. This breakdown could be the “recipe” for a breakthrough on NA questions.

There are many variables that make your question hard to pin down. Every story is unique. I have been studying for the LSAT for a total on a calendar of 2 years. But during that time my mother fell terminally ill and passed away. There was a gap in my studies of some 7-7.5 months, where I might have done one single LR question in a day if I was lucky. Having a good grasp on the fundementals, I meet with my tutor once every two weeks for an hour to discuss very specific things I am confused about.

I hope this begins to get you to an answer
    David

• glaezzoglaezzo Free Trial Member
    98 karma

I’m sorry for your loss. Thank you for the insight on the tutoring hours!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

When I started tutoring the minimum time we met was two hours in one session. And sometimes we met once a week and other times twice a week. I was still in the CC so we were still working fundamentals.

I think you should speak to your tutor about where you are and discuss timing and cost so you are both on the same page. Good luck.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I'm interested in tutoring, too. @BinghamtonDave when is the best time to get a tutor, after finishing the entire CC?

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" either would probably work. For me it was after self studying and hitting a plateau.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

@BinghamtonDave thanks! I'm almost done with the CC, so I'll probably wait and see what I can't nail after a few BRs.