Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still too slow (though accurate) on LG with 2 weeks to go

jasper123jasper123 Free Trial Member
in Logic Games 7 karma

Hi long time lurker and would really appreciate any perspective that people have!

I have been studying for a while now (took February, retaking in July so two weeks away now) and still am too slow on LG. I usually am ~1-3 minutes off target time especially on the harder games, which obviously adds up though with that extra time I am -0 to -3 on most games sections. LG is the only section where I continue to struggle with time.

Does anyone have any strategies on the question order you answer in, eliminating all answers versus trusting you have the right answer, looking for the right answer versus eliminating the wrong, or anything else that they have found saves them time?

Similarly, if anyone has advice on how to spend my last two weeks with LG drills that would be immensely appreciated as well. Given the limited time left, I am trying to figure out how to prioritize my studying/which games to work on, etc. I feel one of my continuing weaknesses is figuring out the game too late into the game, i.e. by the time I finish the game I have all the necessary inferences but I did not see them off the bat. I am fine to dedicate most of my study time to LG as I am consistently scoring where I would like on LR and feel like CR is a relatively futile studying situation for me.

Thank you so much in advance and please let me know if I can provide any further information.

Comments

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

Try to do more work up front making worlds and such. However, it's better to be slow and accurate than be fast and missing a lot. You can bubble in the last couple of questions if you don't have time.

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    edited July 2018 2803 karma

Timed sections help a ton and maybe recording yourself to see where your time sinks are happening and what your thought processes are during these. I found that my time sinks were mostly panic/stress induced. JY is a big advocate of putting your pencil down for 10 seconds and taking a deep breath to mentally reset if you get stuck/panicked.

Little things like knowing which ACs to try first can also help you pick up a lot of time. For example a could be true question, trying floater items first or a must be false question trying to find which ACs put leaders in follower spots.

• NeverStopNeverStop Alum Member
    96 karma

Personally, I found that doing one logic game section a day really helped me to improve my score on LG. Also, what I would did was time myself per game. For instance, for the first game I would give myself 5-6 mins then move on, for the second game I would give myself 9-10 mins before moving on, and so forth.

• jasper123jasper123 Free Trial Member
    7 karma

Thank you all, very very helpful! I have had a hard time figuring out when to move on from a game versus when to keep going with it and sacrifice the extra time it take to finish it out.

@"Lucas Carter" when you say record, do you mean literally video record? I have tried marking my time splits after various questions/games but find that often interrupts the flow and feels forced so would be curious how you specifically you record.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

One thing that's helped me with time (and hey lol maybe you already do this!) is that if the first question in the game is an acceptable order, I run down the ACs as I'm writing the rules. Once I see a rule that makes an AC invalid, I cross it off. Then you'll be left with the correct AC. Can't remember where I read this strategy but I love it!

Also, another thing I try to do is make sure to glance back to the ACs I picked as I go through the game to eliminate incorrect ACs in the other questions. This is something JY does in the videos. For example: say a question is asking where X can go on the gameboard...first take a look at any acceptable order questions you've already done (typically the first question in the game). Or see if any questions already gave you parts of a valid gameboard. This can possibly cut down on time spent having to brute force the ACs.

I'm definitely not perfect at LG, so I don't have amazing advice but try not to stress out too much/get burnt out in the weeks before the test. :smile: Since you mentioned issues with inferences, maybe do a few untimed drills to focus on making key inferences up front? And as you feel more comfortable, go back to timed drills with fresh games.

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2803 karma

@"Lucas Carter" when you say record, do you mean literally video record? I have tried marking my time splits after various questions/games but find that often interrupts the flow and feels forced so would be curious how you specifically you record.

Yes, many 7Sagers myself included use a mount similar to this attached right to the desk: https://www.amazon.com/Aduro-Solid-Grip-Adjustable-Universal-Smartphone/dp/B01HDZJ1ZE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531312253&sr=8-3&keywords=gooseneck+mount

It is very helpful to step back and review your thought processes because often times we don't realize we are repeating the same small procedural mistakes that lead to panic/stress.