Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Struggling with SA

LSATStudent780LSATStudent780 Alum Member

I am struggling with Sufficient Assumptions and PSA as well. Even when I went through the lesson, I feel like it just doesn't click. I have watched the videos numerous times and it just doesn't work. The SA are the ones I am missing on the practice tests as well. What suggestions do you guys have? Any tips? Study guides? I appreciate all advice!

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited July 2018 2531 karma

You can usually test a sufficient assumption AC by plugging it into the argument and deciding whether the AC + the other premises make the conclusion valid. I think a valuable exercise for this question is to work through good bundle of them and to be intentional and methodical in your approach. Once you get comfortable with the general expectations of the question, you will start to notice that your intuitions are stronger than they once were. This is ultimately the way to do well on these questions - strong intuitions and a good understanding of what a sufficient assumption does for an argument.

• 1025 karma

I think @Ohnoeshalpme gave some quality insight, you should follow this. That is a great approach to get some solid fundamentals.

If you are struggling with both SA and PSA, I would suggest strictly working on getting SA down first. PSA can be a bit tricky at times, since the argument does not necessarily have to be completely valid or by its use of encompassing language in the ACs. Understanding SA will totally help with PSA as well. IMO, it's a lot more fluid to first understand a formulaic question type and transition into a looser, deviated one then vice versa.

For actually doing questions, try using the question bank on the resources tab for drilling. Limit the search to any low PT (maybe 10-20) and only search for SA questions within this set. Work your way down these questions from the lowest difficulty to the highest. You will start to get a feel for the various forms of arguments and the countless ways LSAC likes to spice up the wording on correct ACs as well. If you feel lost on a particular question going up in difficulty, use @Ohnoeshalpme's advice and prove it to yourself. No matter how hard a SA question is, the uniqueness of the question type means the stimulus will always chain ideas that can be diagramed or understood with experience and patience. Good luck and grind hard!

• Bianca1234-1Bianca1234-1 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 69 karma

You have to be able to understand what is sufficient to complete the argument. For example:

Being rich is sufficient to live well, but not necessary, whereas health is necessary to live well but not sufficient.

If you go and purchase a house that cost $100,000
    $5000 is necessary but not sufficient.
    $500,000 is sufficient but not necessary
    $100,000 is both sufficient and necessary

Being a cat is sufficient for being an animal, but not necessary, and being alive is necessary but sufficient.

Money is necessary to purchase a house but not always sufficient. A mortgage can be sufficient but not necessary if you have cash. etc. etc.

Medication is sufficient to treat sickness, but is not always necessary. Your immune system is necessary but survival but not always sufficient for fighting off disease.

This pattern is what you must look for when doing SA and PSA questions. PSA are a little looser, but generally follow the same thought process.