Irony - 24 Hours with 24 Lawyers

LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
in Off-topic 4850 karma

So I'm reading the subject book and for the most part, its enjoyable. The fact that some of authors felt they needed to explain the terms Sesame Street (a children's show), NPR (National Public Radio), and Luke Skywalker going to the dark side (a Star Wars movie reference) was funny and may reveal some social awkwardness among those in the legal profession.

However, I did find the fact that the DUI attorney wrote at length about his habit of emailing on his cell phone while driving, looking at the road every 5 seconds or so, was the pinnacle of irony.

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Maybe, but you have to consider that all of those things are well known in the United States and much of Europe but perhaps not in many other parts of the world. They probably are thinking more on a global scale than just a national one? Just a guess.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited August 2018 4850 karma

You make a good point on the term explanations, although having lived abroad for a long time, I know that's not an issue either with the Japanese or South Korean readers (for Sesame Street and Star Wars). But in the desire to be truly globally relevant, you make an excellent argument.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Younger readers won’t know what Sesame Street is. A lot of people may know of Star Wars but not specifically know the characters names. NPR is an acronym and accordingly should be spelled out in parentheses.

But LOL @ the dui attorney.

Would you recommend the book?

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

@"surfy surf" I don't know that I would buy the book again. I have enjoyed it, but there are no real "ah ha" moments. TBH, the DUI attorney's 24 hours have been the most interesting to me because he goes in depth about running a solo practice, the importance of good support staff, and the importance of customer service. His section is more substantive than others are (IMHO). I'm ~18 attorneys into the book and it definitely covers a wide spectrum of fields. But it does suffer from being a mile wide and an inch deep on the legal profession (just my own perspective, I think the author / compiler of the stories would say that's the whole point of the book). Its not a book I'll reference or touch again after I'm finished with it.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@"surfy surf" I'd recommend it, I've said before on 7sage that it's one of those books that is enjoyable but not as enlightening as you want it to be. It's more a book to satiate curiosity than to provide its readers with any valuable insight.