Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to do Evaluate Questions

btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member

I've missed nearly every single Evaluate question I've come across. How are we supposed to approach these? Is there a list of all the evaluate questions anyone can share for drilling?

Comments

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

For evaluate questions, the correct answer choice will serve two purpose. Taken to one extreme, it will weaken the argument. Taken to another extreme, it will strengthen the argument.

In its most basic form here is an example:

All apples are red. Therefore, all apples are delicious.

Here are the possibile AC's:

A) Are apples fruits?
    B) Are all red things delicious?
    C) Are red things happy?
    D) Are other fruits delicious?
    E) Are green things delicious?

In this example, answer choice B is the correct answer that we need to evalute the argument. Suppose that all red things are not delicious. Well that would certainly weaken the support for the argument that 'all apples are delicious.' Whereas, if we took our answer to the other extreme, that all red things are delicious then that would strengthen the support for our argument. It's kind of interesting how the right answer for these types of questions would be wrong for strengthen and weaken questions. Perhaps that's where your confusion stems from?

I've only come across two so far, one of which was on PT79.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

Thank you! My confusion comes from not seeing how the extreme answer would weaken/strengthen the stimulus. Maybe this can be fixed if I do this in a more methodical way and practice it more.

6045 karma

Hmmm maybe you need to focus on structure more then? As in identifying the conclusion and premises?

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

Actually yeah--I wasn't able to correctly identify the premises and conclusion for the last Evaluate question I reviewed!

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    840 karma

Hi there,

@btownsquee thanks for making this post asking about evaluate question type. I was just reviewing yesterday and came across this question type in PT 7 Sec 4 Q8. I was trying to figure out what the best approach would be for these types of questions. Thank you for your explanation @keets993. When do we know to take it to the extreme in weakening or strengthening the argument?

6045 karma

@"Beast Mode" you do these with the answer choices. It's like how in NA you negate the answer choices.

So in this example, take each answer choice: "are apples fruit?" yes (100) or no (0). Apples are not fruit (doesn't do anything to the argument), yes apples are fruit (doesn't do anything to the argument).

B ) Are all red things delicious? Yes (100) all red things are delicious. This strengthens the support for our argument. No (0) red things are delicious. Well this weakens the support.

Does that help explain?

840 karma

Yes @keets993 thank you so much!! I appreciate it!!

6045 karma

I've only seen JY do the yes (100) no (0) in the video for his fresh take for PT79 for the first LR section. Where he actually writes "yes (100) and no (0)" beside the answer choice. Maybe that will help you remember as well :)

840 karma

Thanks again @keets993!! I appreciate you.