Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Philosophy books for reading comp.

I know everyone recommends reading the magazines The Economist and the Atlantic for improving reading comprehension.

But it seems philosophy majors should have a distinct advantage in reading dense abstruse passages. Should I be reading philosophy books on the side to improve reading comprehension?

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

If you consider “reading philosophy books on the side” to be entertainment then yes. I don’t think that anything outside of actual LSAT passages is a reasonable replacement though. Read whatever you want outside of the LSAT but you will see by far the most immediate value by just focusing on the material within the test.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

Will it help? Yes. Do you need to? No. Will it be fun? Maybe. Would it be a valuable use of spare time? That depends.

If you'd like any philosophy reading suggestions then feel free to message me.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

As a philosophy major I'm going to say the advantage we have comes more from application of active reading. I think once you learn proper active reading strategies, getting through the dense material will be much easier. I tried reading the economist for practice and I think the best advice I've received is to practice with RC passages. More exposure will reveal patterns and will benefit you in the long run. I think many of us neglect the possible benifits of repetition when it comes to RC.