Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spivey tweet- The combined volume for June, July, and September on this date is down 4.9% compared

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
in General 3652 karma

“Breaking news! The combined volume for June, July, and September on this date is down 4.9% compared to June and September last year.”

I swear they just recently had a blog post about how there are going to be more applicants and more lsat takers this year??

Any thoughts?

Comments

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

@"surfy surf" I honestly think the drop is because people who took June could get full refunds for July LSATs and people who took July could get September refunds if they were happy with their scores, which wasn't the case last year. I think despite the drop in tests administered, there will be an overall increase in high scorers. It is also a little concerning that quite a few of the T14 medians didn't go up considering the surplus in high LSATers last cycle, which makes me think there will be a record number of reapplicants incoming this year.

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 409 karma

@eRetaker That's puzzling then. Why are schools not increasing their LSAT medians when number
    of applicants with high scores shoot up? Is that saying they are focusing more on essays and softs then? Also are Berkeley and Michigan the only schools raising medians?

2038 karma

@sx23 Penn, Berkeley, and NYU's medians increased by +1 but Harvard, UVA, duke, Michigan stayed the same, don't know what to make of it... Spivey did mention on Reddit that schools have shown an increased weight on GPA last cycle and he'll have a blog on it soon.

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@eRetaker Just curious, where did you get that information? I couldn't find the updated stats on their websites

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I don’t think that’s an accurate estimate of anything. Isn’t that just self reported? Really doubt people with lsat/gpa below the median are self reporting in masses.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

Here's hoping this cycle will be less competitive than the last. That's what Spivey predicted and he's hardly ever wrong.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

@"surfy surf" said:

I don’t think that’s an accurate estimate of anything. Isn’t that just self reported? Really doubt people with lsat/gpa below the median are self reporting in masses.

Just a clarification, since I’m watching that blog post. Spivey is validating the data prior to publishing it in that spread sheet, typically based on the orientation presentation given to the incoming classes or updated information on school websites. For example, I know two of the increased numbers from schools are correct because I visited the two schools and was told the same thing / data by their admissions personnel.

2038 karma

@"surfy surf" sorry I should have been more clear about the crowd sourcing part but essentially what @LSAT_Wrecker said is correct. The numbers were announced by the deans at orientation and validated by multiple 1Ls the respective schools before being posted onto the spreadsheet. So the numbers are accurate.