Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Employment History

I'm 3 years out of undergrad and I'm trying to figure out how many jobs to include in the employment history of my law school applications.

I have 5 full time jobs listed on my resume but I started working at McDonald's when I was 16 and in high school. Should I include all of my part-time work from high school and college? (retail, hospitality, food-service, etc.)

If I list every job (part-time/full-time) and include internships I will be at 17 jobs.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

@Giselle112 I have a similar issue with the amount of part-time jobs. From what I've seen, it's school specific and schools generally list what they want in the app. For example Berkeley's stated to list all jobs after High School and that seems to be the norm. For schools that don't have the requirements listed on their app or website, I think it's safe to just ask the schools at a law fair or via email what they would like. I suspect the vast majority do not want to see high school jobs or extracurriculars listed.

• Giselle112Giselle112 Alum Member
    151 karma

@eRetaker That's a great idea! Thanks. I'm going to a law school fair this weekend and 5 of the schools I'm applying to will be there. :)

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

You want the page to look full. A big part of the resume is the impression that you get at first glance so play around with the formatting until it looks full. I personally am a k-jd so I have less on my resume than most, so adding more clubs/extracurriculars makes the resume appear more complete. In your case, you may have to trim down your experience to just professional positions.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

It depends on how each application is worded. You don't need to put all of them on your resume. Just how you would a standard resume... put your most recent and relevant experience. But on the application section, each school will word it a little differently. Just follow their instructions. I just reviewed my app to UCLA last year and their prompt was: "List all employment including internships". That means all. It's most important to follow directions. I had 14 jobs listed. You'll know by how the application is worded and it's usually pretty clear. In this case, they said to list all, so I did. But only about 4 of those or so are on my resume.

• oi0o9oi0o9 Free Trial Member
    7 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    You want the page to look full. A big part of the resume is the impression that you get at first glance so play around with the formatting until it looks full. I personally am a k-jd so I have less on my resume than most, so adding more clubs/extracurriculars makes the resume appear more complete. In your case, you may have to trim down your experience to just professional positions.

While it's essential to make your resume visually appealing and informative at first glance, it's equally crucial to maintain honesty and relevance.

• matisonsmith4matisonsmith4 Core Member
    35 karma

I have the same issue, do we put jobs if we worked it from high school into early college?