Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Doing PTs after full day of work

Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
in General 2186 karma

Quick question for all you full-time working and part-time studying 7sagers. Do you think it's smart to take PTs after a full day's work? The LSAT is administered in the morning so I imagine it's best to get into the habit of taking timed practice tests in the AM. but for those of us who work full time, that limits us to 1 test a week rather than 2.

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I personally think 1 PT per week is plenty. I take them on Saturdays, sometimes in the morning, sometimes not.

I think full PTs are best used just for building stamina and checking in on your average score. I typically would go through timed sections with BR during the week. I could usually get through 4, so that would add up to a full test's worth of material. But as far as doing a full PT in one sitting, I think once per week is just fine.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

... and also, I could never get through a whole PT after a day of work haha. That would crush me. So, not really an option in my mind haha.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    ... and also, I could never get through a whole PT after a day of work haha. That would crush me. So, not really an option in my mind haha.

yeah it's pretty brutal. Definitely don't recommend it but I've done it a couple times.
    I still have about 14 tests I haven't used up. You aren't using new material for drilling are you?

• rkathleenrkathleen Member
    72 karma

I do a prep test every 2-3 days after work, and find I get the same score (or better) than in the AM on the weekends. As long as it's not a drastically different or skewed mark I'm sure it's fine!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Some people take 5 timed sections at separate times when a schedule is difficult. I wonder if that's a possible approach?

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Don't overwhelm yourself. Biting off more than you can chew won't benefit anyone. Be aware of your limits and reflect on your activities. Make sure you don't burn out or get sick mentally or physically.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Yeah I definitely agree that one per week is plenty as long as that's not the only studying you're doing. I did PT once or twice after a full day of work and it was brutal.

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

I wouldn't. Your mind won't be at peak performance compared to like a morning exam. But you never know, try it and let us know the outcome.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I did a PT at midnight once and it was my best timed score to date. But, of course, my mind was still functioning and I was feeling fresh, not exhausted. Don't push yourself to do a test when you're feeling exhausted "just because" it's not going to end well. Most likely, you'll do worse than your average and then hate yourself and try to prove that that score is not representative of your value and it generally leads to a spiraling. So, if you feel that you won't be too exhausted after work then you can try it to see how it goes.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1777 karma

10/10 would not recommend. It's not a fun way to start out the day, and it's not a good idea to take one after a full day of work. I always feel bad about myself when I do badly on a PT, and I'm much more likely to do badly when I'm exhausted. I would do timed sections, though. You can PT on Saturday or Sunday, then work on BRing it.

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    786 karma

Going off of this, it's better to do a PT when you're mentally there. No point to waste your time or a PT just for shits!

• Tatyana L.Tatyana L. Alum Member
    244 karma

Did that for my first PT. Never more. Had 7 minutes left in both LR and RC section but decided to just fast forward the proctor because I was so tired.

I personally do a timed section every couple of days. Just so I keep in the habit of time constraints. I do it at lunch. It’s as close to morning as I can manage. In the evening I’m just doing drills now. I don’t have unlimited time, so doing the 90% of super easy questions seems like a waste of time. I took a book of 10 tests and I drill the hard questions in the areas of my weakness. Plus I do about 5-10 logic games a day (depending on difficulty). I time the games and try to get it all right and under the suggested time limit. That seems to help me more than doing timed LG sections. And it keeps my brain from going mush due to sleep deprivation. If you arrive at the LSAT as a zombie, all that studying will be for naught.