Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weird LOR Situation

BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
edited September 2018 in Law School Admissions 1694 karma

I have two situations I want to ask you guys about:

1. A while before and during my prep for LSAT and law school, I started doing angel investing, and got incredibly close to 2 founders at now multi-million dollar companies. I've changed and developed enormously during the last year or so, especially during the process of helping with their companies. I feel like they know me and speak for me better than any of my professors, and probably any past colleague or boss can. They have all eagerly offered to write and basically wrote it on the spot when I asked them if they would be my referrer, but I am not sure if I should use these. From an outside perspective, there is obviously a potential conflict of interest, as I am a partner and a shareholder in their life's work. Do you think I should use these letters?

2. One of my favourite professors has agreed to write a letter for me, but the thing is, I got a B-, and a B in his classes, meaning, I was not only not a top student, but in fact, a low performing student. However, that professor, who taught me marketing and entrepreneurship, knows that he affected me deeply, and is part of the reason why I changed from my traditional banking career, and went into the start-up world and then started getting involved in venture capital, and can provide a unique perspective to my application. It probably won't be too personal though, because it was about 5 years ago, and he probably didn't pay much attention to me. Do you think I should use his letter?

I really appreciate any insight on this topic. I know it may be a tad unusual, but I honestly don't quite know what to do. I'll probably end up using them though, if there are no strong objections, since I don't want to re-use past references and have been self-employed for too long now.

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

I believe LORs should demonstrate an applicant's work ethic and academic ability. You want to come across as a potential all star student and someone who will be dedicated to your studies. I've had a professor ask me about my life and school experiences that reinforced my desire to pursue a JD. He seems to believe academic dedication is an extremely important factor in this process (he is also a long time law professor so I trust his insights into this process). Academic references are valuable.

On the other hand, it sounds like you have made some true connections with people who will be able to vouch for you in an authentic way. In your situation those letters will tell an admissions committee the most about you and why you are great.

I still think you should try to get at least 1 academic LOR despite receiving 2 B's and the class being 5 years ago. Most schools understand that for some students this is unfeasible, but you have a line of communication with a professor unlike some students who have been out of school for a long time. Why don't you talk to your professor about his class, your performance, and some of your qualities that you think will help you in law school and see what they say?

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@drbrown2 said:
    I believe LORs should demonstrate an applicant's work ethic and academic ability. You want to come across as a potential all star student and someone who will be dedicated to your studies. I've had a professor ask me about my life and school experiences that reinforced my desire to pursue a JD. He seems to believe academic dedication is an extremely important factor in this process (he is also a long time law professor so I trust his insights into this process). Academic references are valuable.

On the other hand, it sounds like you have made some true connections with people who will be able to vouch for you in an authentic way. In your situation those letters will tell an admissions committee the most about you and why you are great.

I still think you should try to get at least 1 academic LOR despite receiving 2 B's and the class being 5 years ago. Most schools understand that for some students this is unfeasible, but you have a line of communication with a professor unlike some students who have been out of school for a long time. Why don't you talk to your professor about his class, your performance, and some of your qualities that you think will help you in law school and see what they say?

I don't actually have a line to the professor. I just cold-emailed a handful of professors, and he was the only one who responded. He didn't seem very interested in why I wanted to go to law school, unfortunately, but I told him anyway. Hahahahaha. To clarify though, I'm not choosing between the two conditions. I'm asking if either or both of them should be used.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

I see. Well you have some great professional references that will be personal and should try to get an academic letter if it will be a supportive and positive one. I guess the only way to find out is to ask the professor their thoughts. You can emphasize the impact his class had on you and send him your resume. Even if it isn’t a personal LOR it still satisfies the school’s requests that applicants have at least 1 academic recommendation.

Have you looked at any of the LOR stuff from the admissions course? I’m sure the experts could weigh in and help you decide how to proceed

1694 karma

Yeah, right now, my goal is just to have at least one academic letter, and my professor has already submitted it to lsac, so that’s taken care of for now.
    Good idea. I should review the LOR video.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I would say yes to 1 and no to 2, unless you talk to the prof and ask if he would be able to write a strong letter. A letter from a prof that describes you as just an ok student won’t help you get into law school and could hurt. They’re not looking for a personal reference, but for insight into your ability as a student. If the prof wouldn’t be able to honestly say that you’re a great student, I wouldn’t use it. If you’ve been out of school a while, most law schools won’t expect an academic letter.

1694 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    I would say yes to 1 and no to 2, unless you talk to the prof and ask if he would be able to write a strong letter. A letter from a prof that describes you as just an ok student won’t help you get into law school and could hurt. They’re not looking for a personal reference, but for insight into your ability as a student. If the prof wouldn’t be able to honestly say that you’re a great student, I wouldn’t use it. If you’ve been out of school a while, most law schools won’t expect an academic letter.

Hmmmm, ok. I'll probably refrain from using #2, unless the school specifically demands an academic letter. Thank you. =)