Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying for the October LSAT

Cifuente_04Cifuente_04 Alum Member
edited October 2018 in General 77 karma

Hi everyone,
I'll be taking the Oct Lsat on the 14th, and until just now I've been PTing+BR 3 times a week. My PT scores for older PTs (50-69) were within 168-172, but as I started working on the 70's my average PT score declined to the mid 160's. I am worried about the test due to the decrease in my score, so I purchased 7Sage Starter course (I regret I didn't use it earlier) to go over the fundamentals. As of today I used all PTs except the 80's, preptest C, and C2. For the rest of the days until the LSAT, I'm planning to do some 7sage CC (focusing on LR) but also want to do 2 or 3 PTs before the test. Which PTs should I use? And also which of JY's videos among the CC were most helpful to you?
Thank you in advance guys :)

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I would do a max of two more PTs and make sure you're done by about a week before the test. You really want to make sure you take the last week pretty easy. I would redo a couple of the newer ones, understanding that your scores will be a bit inflated since you've seen the tests relatively recently.I would try to figure out what's changed for you on the more recent tests and attack that area.

• Cifuente_04Cifuente_04 Alum Member
    77 karma

@MissChanandler, so do you think it's better for me to retake the PTs I took recently and save fresh PTs? I've been continuously reviewing the questions I've got wrong on a weekly basis, and I'm worried that I would do the questions relying on my memory if I retake the recent PTs. But I still will redo one of the 60's and see if there's any changes. Thank you for leaving me a comment! :)

3256 karma

If your problem is that your score dropped with the newer tests, then I don't think taking old tests is the answer (even if they're fresh). I re read your original post, and if I understand correctly, you still have the 80s preptests that are untouched? I would keep reviewing those recent tests and then use one or two of the fresh 80s tests for your full length PT.

77 karma

@MissChanandler now I see I misunderstood your comment earlier haha thank you for your advice!

3256 karma

Haha that's my bad! Good luck!

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

You're doing 3 PTs a week? Did I read that right? At this point I think you should just stop doing PTs and start playing some NBA 2k19. I mean it could be that you're experiencing burnout or that the test makers threw you for a loop.

Regardless I'd try to relax a bit more before the test before you fry your brain and have a serious meltdown on test day. I'll be taking it on the 14th too, so I wish you the best of luck.

77 karma

@"Adam Hawks" Actually I didn't think 3PT/wk was a lot of work until I read a few threads on this forum lol.. I've dedicated my weekends for LSAT only, taking a PT and do BR on every Saturday and Sunday +one more PT on an extra weekday.
    Like you said I might be experiencing burnout or it could be that I'm at the mid 160's plateau, so I am trying to get some rest and just review the fundamentals through CC. :)
    Thank you for your advice and I too wish you the best of luck!

• LawSchoolClassof_2022LawSchoolClassof_2022 Alum Member
    82 karma

I’m taking it Oct 8th in the Middle East. I was at a 168-171 plateau about a month ago. There is a document floating around one of the lsat forums (not sure if it is TLS or reddit) that someone put together of posts from people who scored 178-180.

They all talked about how long they studied for, diagnostics, what materials they used, tips, etc. one thing that almost all of them did was a MASS amount of PTs. Some of them were doing 1 PT/day and a few did 2 PTs/day to increase stamina. Desperate to break through my plateau I started doing 2 PTs/day for about a week and a half. I quickly burned out, took a few days off, came back and scored 173, 174, and 175 on PTs 81, 82, and 84 (full test conditions, 5th section , etc)

I do think that review in the low 170s is a lot different than review in the high150s/low 160s. BRing took me maybe an hour or two. Not sure if I would recommend my approach, maybe I would have still gotten the gains if I hadn’t done like 20 practice tests in 10 days.

77 karma

@Tongan_Rambo that's interesting! 2PTs a day sounds brutal, but I kinda see how that would help increasing the score. Besides using Powerscore's LR bible when I first started studying, doing PTs untimed/timed+BR has been my only strategy and I don't doubt that doing PTs intensively worked for me and increased my score from 159(diagnostic) to 177(the highest I got on PT.)
    I'd love to try doing 2PTs/day if I had more time until the LSAT- maybe I will try your approach if I happen to decide to retake. Thank you for your thoughts and good luck on the LSAT! :)

• MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
    350 karma

@Tongan_Rambo said:
    I’m taking it Oct 8th in the Middle East. I was at a 168-171 plateau about a month ago. There is a document floating around one of the lsat forums (not sure if it is TLS or reddit) that someone put together of posts from people who scored 178-180.

They all talked about how long they studied for, diagnostics, what materials they used, tips, etc. one thing that almost all of them did was a MASS amount of PTs. Some of them were doing 1 PT/day and a few did 2 PTs/day to increase stamina. Desperate to break through my plateau I started doing 2 PTs/day for about a week and a half. I quickly burned out, took a few days off, came back and scored 173, 174, and 175 on PTs 81, 82, and 84 (full test conditions, 5th section , etc)

I do think that review in the low 170s is a lot different than review in the high150s/low 160s. BRing took me maybe an hour or two. Not sure if I would recommend my approach, maybe I would have still gotten the gains if I hadn’t done like 20 practice tests in 10 days.

Could you elaborate more on the review in high 150s/low 160s being much different?