Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using non-English words in PS

sandypantssandypants Alum Member

Hello! I'm revising my PS currently and am wondering about using non-English words in the essay, as well as more technical words vs "common" words. For example, using "Pipipi snail" instead of "black nerite." Even then, should I just say "sea snail?" Or another example, using "a'a" or "basalt" vs "lava rock." I assume everyone knows what basalt is, but then again, maybe not! I know they're smart people, but I'm not sure how much knowledge I should assume the readers should have. It's part of my upbringing and general knowledge to use these words, and I feel it's more authentically myself to use the words I've used, but I'm paranoid they won't know what I'm talking about so should I use simpler words for the admission's officers clarity? Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    edited October 2018 2124 karma

Yes, try to use simpler words where you can. You want to give them a clear understanding so they don't come up with a wrong interpretation, so using "sea snail"and "basalt" should be fine.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Going with @Kermit750, the easy words to read are best for this, I think.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Agreed. Personally, I have never heard of "pipipi snail" or "black nerite". I do know what a sea snail is though, haha. And again, I think "a'a" is going to be something that the vast majority of readers have never heard of. I think either basalt or lava rock are fine.

I think it depends on the use in context. If it's being used in a way that someone would know you're talking about a sea snail, then that makes sense. But if there isn't a context clue, it's better to use the more common, simpler terms. You would have to think of your audience... many people reading your essay in admissions won't have heard the regional or more technical names for something. I think if you're unsure though, it'd be helpful to have someone on the boards here read over your essay and let you know if they understood it from context or would be helpful to use a more common term.

• sandypantssandypants Alum Member
    231 karma

@Kermit750 @lsatplaylist @"Leah M B"

Thank you all for your responses! I'll get to revising those, and will definitely ask someone not from the region read it over for some feedback. :)

Leah I saw your PS swap thread so maybe I'll join that once it's ready!