Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need to get my score up

shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
edited November 2014 in General 463 karma
Hello. I took the LSAT in September. I was confident after I took it but was not impressed by my score. I used PowerScore for my prep and didn't improve much from the prep test I took when I first started. It was on the low end of all my prep tests average. I got a 145. Yeah it sucks. My undergrad GPA isn't that great either. But I can write an addendum to help with my GPA (I had a major illness one semester). Anyway, I've been wishy washy since I got my LSAT score about whether or not law school is for me. Right this minute, I am leaning towards registering for a 7sage prep course and retaking the LSAT in probably June. And moving foward with law school. But my thoughts could be different this afternoon. If I decide law school is the answer, I need to get my LSAT score up no less than 10 points and preferably 20 points. My mother is not very encouraging or understanding of my ideas of Law school. So I wanted to know if anyone has any advice or encouragement for me. And also I wanted to know if my goal of getting my score up 20 points is even possible. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• adrian.mikoadrian.miko Alum Member
    191 karma
    I got a really low score on my first LSAT too, but 7sage has put me on the right track and has helped me achieve the confidence I need to improve. I personally wish I had found this site earlier. Anything is possible, there is no "limit" on how much one can improve. Try the basic package, and if you see improvement you can always purchase the ultimate package by paying the difference. (I have the ultimate package, its by far my best purchase in LSAT prep)

Follow your goals. If this is what you really want to do, put in the time to achieve it.
    Don't let others bring you down. This is your life, your goal, your dream.
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    edited November 2014 578 karma
    What matters isn't your diagnostic score, but rather your final score on the test. Don't let your diagnostic score or your Sept score get you down. I initially used Powerscore to study, but 7sage is a million times easier to understand and significantly more helpful. I highly recommend you get the full package for 7sage and continue studying. It's ok to take the LSAT a second time; many people do it and end up at their school of choice. From now until June, you have more than enough time to study and get your score up 20 points. The LSAT is very learnable. What will determine the score you get the 2nd time around is how much time you put in to study and to study efficiently. For example, burning through PTs won't help increase your score if you don't figure out what mistakes you're making and why. I'm confident that you can significantly improve your LSAT score and go to law school if that is what you set your mind to. If you waver and don't study enough, however, your results will reflect that. Best of luck; you can do it!! :)

P.S. If you show commitment and self-discipline to prepare for the LSAT, I think your mom will respect you for it. Don't let negativity affect you!
  • JengibreJengibre Member
    383 karma
    I agree with what others have said about being able to improve your score. There is no magic bullet and an increase of 10 or 20 points will take a great deal of work and discipline. It can be done, however, and I have found the 7sage method extremely helpful. What interested me in your comment is that you said you weren't sure if law school was right for you. It is important to keep in mind the commitment that law school is, financially and in terms of the time and work you must put in. What is it that makes you want to be a lawyer? I recommend talking to people in the law profession; pick their brains about the sort of work they do and their satisfaction with it. Is that the sort of job you can see yourself in? If not, I would consider saving the expense and time of going to law school, and instead pursue a career better suited to your interests. However, if you do have well thought out reasons for wanting to become a lawyer, do not let a less-than-stellar LSAT stop you in your tracks. Set up an intense study schedule, follow the advice available on this site and prepare for June. Best of luck whatever you decide!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    578 karma
    Hey honey,
    Guess what? We are in the same boat. Besides my boyfriend I don't really have anyone else's support. In fact, my mother thinks the LSAT is easy and going to law school is easy. You should not let anyone or anything such as your lsat score discourage you from law school. You didn't do good the first time around, okay well guess what? You have a second chance so just think of how amazing you will do the second time around especially now that you know what to expect.

I was registered to take the December LSAT and I have been studying since July 2014. Believe me when I say, I have been studying....my undergrad advisor at USC told me the other day "I honestly don't know how you do it, I don't typically say this to anyone but you need to enjoy college more because you deserve it" that's just so you know I'm not bullshitting when I say I take the lsat seriously. Well I took my first diagnosis in November 2014 because I wanted to make sure I have everything perfect before taking a practice test. I got a 125 which was lower than my cold diagnosis...133. The second time I got 145 and last time 149. My biggest problem is timing, I am a slow reader. So I am rescheduling until I get 170 on my diagnosis. Don't give up just yet, there is room for improvement
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2014 812 karma
    Hey flhelms. My cold diagnostic was a 154 and that was about 11 months ago. I have thoroughly been through the Manhattan/Powerscore/Trainer/7Sage full course material since then. I was originally signed up to take the LSAT in Sept, but wasn't ready and postponed to December. 3 Weeks ago I still felt I hadn't reached my potential so I have postponed until Feb. A couple days ago I scored a 173 on PT 46 under strict, properly timed conditions (it was a free proctored lsat administered by a prep test company in DC) and I've been averaging 170 +/- 2 points over my last ten PTs. JY is right when he says the LSAT is a BEAST. It has taken me a long time. I can't tell you how much hard work has been put into my preparation. The amount of work you have to do to improve 15 to 20 points is immense, and still that is an understatement. Although I haven't done it on test day when it counts, I know that I have made significant improvements and scoring a 166+ is a very realistic possibility for me. And so just from my personal experience I believe that you can make gains similar to the ones I've made so far. I am by no means incredibly intelligent or anything. I don't read super fast, I get confused easily when I have to hold just 3 or 4 elements in my head at one time, difficult grammar and language is still an immense challenge for me. It took me weeks just to grasp sufficiency/necessity! But you can learn to get faster and more efficient. I highly recommend starting with 7sage's full course and starting from the basic grammar lessons. Don't put a time table on when you want to take the exam. Just keep improving week by week and take the exam when you are ready. The road will be long and hard and you will get discouraged and at times feel like giving up. The one thing that helped me was the quote JY put up on the homepage "I made every mistake that could be made. But I kept pushing..." -Descartes. Nothing could describe my LSAT experience more accurately at this point.That is literally written on a piece of paper and hanging on the wall in front of my desk where I study. I look at it often haha.

I think it comes down to how bad you want it.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    ^ awh this is so well put.
    I might hang that quote up myself...
  • Alexandra3-2Alexandra3-2 Free Trial Member
    74 karma
    ROYAIMAI - Thank you for your honesty. Here am I thinking I cannot do it, although becoming an attorney has been my dream since I was 11. I could not shake the fact that this test is near impossible, but I KNOW i can do this. I am aiming for the Feb 2015 LSAT to apply for August 2015. My diagnostic and actual test score didn't exceed a 140 :( My goal is 165+ on the actual exam. To everyone, keep it up! Although this test is tough, it's not impossible. Keep the faith!
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement. I've put a lot of thought into law school and I know I want to be an attorney. My first LSAT was disappointing to say the least. I know to a certain extent where my issues are. Confidence, timing, complex and deceiving language. Assumption questions are a big issue. But for prep I want to take my base of knowledge but essentially start from scratch on my prep. I'm planning on registering for the middle level 7sage course I forget what its called. And upgrade to the ultimate if needed. I work full time so it's going to be difficult juggling work and study but I know I can do it. Luckily, I work at a lenient call center and can do work between calls/work wherever possible. And I can put off the LSAT (take 2) until October if needed. My family downplays the seriousness of this as well and also tries to talk me into other careers I have little to no interest in. LSAT and impending law school has made dating impossible. But this is my life and I need to focus on making my life the best it can be for me. I cam only do that by myself. Once again thank you so much for everyone's kind words. It means a lot. Good luck everyone in your future endeavors.