Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it ok to have a beautiful résumé?

sandypantssandypants Alum Member
edited October 2018 in Law School Admissions 231 karma

Hello! Sorry, I feel like I've had a zillion questions these past few days but you all are seriously the best at answering them.

Anyway to preface my question, my undergraduate degree is in design so it's kind of a requirement in the field that my résumé is relatively beautiful. I have a two column resume with light bronze headers (at minimum I might change these to black) and the typefaces used are all sans serif. With that being said, looking at the example here: https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/sample-resume/ this is a very standard, non-designed résumé and looks not at all like mine. Law is (obviously) a totally different field from my background, so I was wondering if I should revert my résumé to this format.

On one hand, I like my résumé. It's well spaced, easy to read, nice looking, and a reflection of my design background. On the other hand, I'm not sure if it's too unconventional for the admissions officers (mine is pretty conservative in my opinion, some people have sweet logos or their name in gigantic font or weird but cool alignment with their columns).

Also a side question, does anyone know if they print out our applications or look at them on the computer?

Anyway I welcome your opinions! As always, thank you for your time!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think that you can keep a lot of the elements that you like (good spacing, easy to read) while toning it down a bit to match the standard format. Your résumé isn't the place to get fancy in a law school app.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7286 karma

I think it depends! If your résumé is well-formatted and tasteful, great! If it's loud, you might want to dial down the design elements so that the content takes precedence.

• 615 karma

Hey! another arts background!

• sandypantssandypants Alum Member
    231 karma

@"David.Busis"

Thank you for your input! I don't think it's too flashy, so hopefully I won't have to change much. I'm so relieved!

@HaloHalo

Hiii :) What was your UG or field of work?

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

IDK. The inference your resume may make is "I am not another Poli Sci/Business Admin student and can add diversity here", which is a strength. As long as its scannable and easy to access, I'd say to let your freak flag at least peek out, if not unfurl and flap in the wind. Any school that discounts your creativity out of hand just isn't someplace you will thrive, unless you hated design school because there weren't enough wool suits.

• sandypantssandypants Alum Member
    231 karma

@cqas190517

Any school that discounts your creativity out of hand just isn't someplace you will thrive

I think that is such a great point! Thank you for your thoughts.