Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Columbia Optional Essay

Hi guys, for Columbia's optional part, they say you can include a "brief" supplement diversity essay if you'd like, and the website says to use "best judgement" for the length. Can someone comment on what would be a good length for one? Thanks!

Comments

• 180degrees180degrees Alum Member
    121 karma

I recommend writing a one-page DS for Columbia. That's what I did for them, and I asked several successful applicants for input. The consensus was that Columbia wants something that's a page or less for the DS.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited November 2018 1804 karma

@180degrees said:
    I recommend writing a one-page DS for Columbia. That's what I did for them, and I asked several successful applicants for input. The consensus was that Columbia wants something that's a page or less for the DS.

I called Columbia about this about three weeks ago. The representative said that a good guideline is two pages or less.

So... which one is it? Anybody?

• 180degrees180degrees Alum Member
    edited November 2018 121 karma

@FixedDice if that's what the CLS rep said, then I'm sure two pages is fine. I got my info from some applicants who were admitted. I asked them what they did for it.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I think the general consensus for supplementary essays which don’t have a page length requirement is 1-2. I aim for 1 page but if it ends up being a few sentences into the 2nd page then that’s fine. I think it would be a little odd to have a full 2 page supplementary essay when your PS is likely 2 pages.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Does Columbia have a Why X essay? I’ve heard Columbia specifically likes to hear about ties to NYC or desire to live in the city for yield protection. Has anyone else heard this?

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

@drbrown2 said:
    Does Columbia have a Why X essay?

Columbia's PS prompt incorporates Why X.