Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ED acceptance

Hi guys, I have a question about ED applications. Do they give you the details of your possible financial aid package with the acceptance offer or do you not know? What if you cannot afford to attend the school with what they give you? Does that allow you to back out of the ED acceptance without any consequences?

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited November 2018 3652 karma
    1. unless the school’s ED comes with money then as far as I know you might not know if you get any scholarship money for a while. It’s also not a “possible” financial aid package, you don’t get to negotiate with them for more money.
    2. If you can’t afford to attend the school for full price with 0 scholarship then you should not be applying ED
    3. You are obligated to attend the school. I don’t know if they would like, send police to your door to arrest you but you sign a certification statement that you will attend if admitted. I can’t imagine anyone being able to go back to law school after evading their ED obligation.
  • Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

It probably depends on the school’s procedures whether you get the financial info with your acceptance or not. But no, regardless of the financial offer, you are committed to attend. It’s part of the reason that I personally think it’s only wise to ED at schools that have a large guaranteed scholarship. If they award you $0 scholarship but you are accepted ED, you are required to attend. You also lose all leverage to negotiate your scholarship. If scholarship money is important to you, I’d recommend you only ED at a school with a guaranteed scholarship that is large enough for you to be comfortable attending with that award.