Are optional refrences really optional? UBC - Canadian school that doesnt use CAS

Sam TylerSam Tyler Alum Member
edited November 2018 in Law School Admissions 454 karma

UBC says refrences are optional for the general category. How optional is this? UBC is a pretty strong Canadian school (LSAT median 165 GPA 3.7), but it does clearly say you dont need to send refrences, but would it hurt my chances? Unlike most US and Canadian schools, UBC is not part if any credential assembly service, everything must be sent to them manually which may explain why they have this policy. I didnt think I was applying here, but changed my mind and would prefer not to bother my references if possible

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

A strong reference will help your application but I can’t say anything beyond that... just not familiar w the Canadian system or this school. If they say it’s optional, then I would take it at face value. If you have a professor willing to write you a strong letter tho, I think it would be unfortunate to no take full advantage.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

This is based on an American school so YMMV: One admissions director for a school with "LOR's optional, not required" that I talked to said that 99% of applicants submitted LORs and that good ones usually help, not hurt your cause.

Good luck.

• Tim HortonsTim Hortons Alum Member
    edited November 2018 389 karma

Hey, fellow Canadian here. For UBC, references are required for discretionary and aboriginal applicant categories. I met with an admissions advisor a couple months ago and asked them the same question (because UBC's website is a little misleading with its use of "optional" and "not required"). They told me that if I feel my references will help my application, then I should apply for discretionary. That being said, I was also told that even if I get my references to send in their letter for me and I apply within the regular applicant stream, they will keep the letters they receive on file and "may or may not look at them". So, in all, I'd recommend either (1) applying for discretionary if you have reason to, or (2) apply for the regular applicant stream, but get your referees to send their letters in anyways.

The worst that can happen? They don't look at 'em. The best that could happen? They take 'em into consideration. Worth a shot!

• rkathleenrkathleen Member
    72 karma

Unless you can apply discretionary (i.e. something highly specialized about your letters or experience), they're not optional, they're actually just not needed at all!

Also I believe applications closed November 1st for UBC for the 2019 cycle, so you'd have some time to think it over until next September :)

• GuillaumeGuillaume Alum Member
    652 karma

@rkathleen said:
    Unless you can apply discretionary (i.e. something highly specialized about your letters or experience), they're not optional, they're actually just not needed at all!

Also I believe applications closed November 1st for UBC for the 2019 cycle, so you'd have some time to think it over until next September :)

The above is correct except that application deadline is December 1st, see website: http://www.allard.ubc.ca/apply-peter-allard-school-law-jd-program

I think Nov 1 was Ontario schools deadlines.

• Sam TylerSam Tyler Alum Member
    edited November 2018 454 karma

Thanks everyone! Deadline is Dec 1st for UBC. I already applied, and deadline for supporting documentation is Jan 1st. I think honestly it can't hurt so i'll probably ask my references to send a copy to UBC if they have the previous letter saved from Ontario schools and its not a big deal for them, and i'll provide them with a stamped addressed envelope . If they didn't save it or ontario references were formatted differently or something i def wont ask them to rewrite since it doesn't sound like an important element of the application.