Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake Advice?

yurple591yurple591 Alum Member
in General 62 karma

Ok I finally looked after 3days (I know, I’m a little crazy). 163.

So. My PT average is 167 with a pretty tight standard deviation of +/-2. I took the Sept. and got 158 and was very rattled, I’d never scored there (that whole test is a blurry, blacked out memory) except for my diagnostic back in June. Then Nov felt much better and more like my practice tests. I wasn’t particularly nervous — ya know, just regular “this is important, stay calm” kind of thoughts.

I didn’t think “test day fatigue” would figure so prominently in my scoring, but I guess it does.

Would you guys retake in Jan? I really don’t want to apply next year. I’m 28, 6 years out of school (working in criminal justice reform) and desperately want to dive into law school.

Comments

• yurple591yurple591 Alum Member
    62 karma

Also, I realize some of you might want to know where I’m applying because that would greatly inform whether it matters etc.

1) It does matter, the median LSAT score for my dream school is 168.
    2) the gap from PT to test day is also just really annoying. I missed 3 LG (2 that I had no business missing). After getting all of the mining questions right, I go on to miss 3 in the last section (including the first question of that game.. to be fair, our proctor screwed up and called 5min at the 10min mark and I freaked out in that last game, not sure I recovered well).

• LawSkewlProbsLawSkewlProbs Alum Member
    103 karma

Chase the dream. Test again. You won't regret it. You got this!!!

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    edited December 2018 3256 karma

I would probably retake. Is 163 below your dream school's 25th? Where does your GPA fall in their range? If your GPA isn't above their median then I would DEFINITELY retake, if you have a GPA higher than their 75th and 163 is at or above their 25th, then a retake might not be such an obvious choice (but probably still a good one honestly).

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    844 karma

@LawSkewlProbs @MissChanandler I couldn't agree more!

• yurple591yurple591 Alum Member
    edited December 2018 62 karma

My GPA is below their median (but above their 25th). I’m a URM with STEM degree from an ivy-league known for their grade-deflation.

It feels uncomfortably close so I think i’m with you guys —I should probably retake. I’m just nervous applying in late January (or actually I guess they won’t get that score until february?) will hurt my chances more than my off numbers.