Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying for the Digital LSAT

mixedlawmixedlaw Alum Member
edited January 2019 in General 169 karma

I would love to hear J.Y. do a podcast/webinar on how to study for the digital LSAT. I'm starting to study this month and hoping to take the test this fall. Since I'm at the beginning of my journey I'd love to start out by building good study habits and approaches for the digital test, but there aren't many resources since the announcement of digital is fairly recent. In the meantime, does anyone have any tips?

Comments

• _aisling__aisling_ Alum Member
    289 karma

Me, too! I don't have tips (yet) but I would love to hear the perspectives of folks who have been through LSAT prep the good-old-fashioned-way; hoping that they have some insight on how to best tackle this new form!

My main points of concern are:

1) using a tablet (which I realize is probably not most people's #1 but I have never used a tablet in my life)

2) diagramming with the pen on the end of a stylus

3) not being able to make notes within the prompts/passages themselves

I'm sure there are other issues I haven't even thought about!

LSAC said that there would be updated training materials in early 2019, so I'm keeping an eye out for them. I'm excited to be part of a new community experience and I'm glad that I'm taking mine in September when I won't have to wonder which version I'll be walking into!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@cathlynmelvin said:
    LSAC said that there would be updated training materials in early 2019, so I'm keeping an eye out for them. I'm excited to be part of a new community experience and I'm glad that I'm taking mine in September when I won't have to wonder which version I'll be walking into!

You can see what it will be like and take the June 2007 LSAT from this page :) : https://familiar.lsac.org/

https://www.lsac.org/lsat/lsat-prep/how-prepare-digital-lsat

That’s why we’ve created a Digital LSAT tutorial—to get you acquainted with the Digital LSAT. LSAC’s new Digital LSAT tutorial videos will help you get a clear sense of what the experience of taking the Digital LSAT will be like. These tutorials are not practice tests in the usual sense: you can’t score them, and they won’t help you figure out where you need more study. (Our other Prep Tools can help you with that!) But they will show you how to highlight passages, how to undo an answer, how to enlarge the font, and more. To emulate the Digital LSAT testing experience, use a touch screen tablet to reference the Practice and Try Out sections. The functionality of a PC cannot mirror or replicate the testing experience of using a touch screen tablet. The videos are another method for getting acquainted with the Digital LSAT. These videos are simply—and crucially—a methodical way for you to actually see and experience, in advance, what the test will actually look like when your Digital LSAT shows up on the screen.
    289 karma

Ooh, thank you @akistotle! I'm glad to know that we can not only highlight, but use different colors and underline as well.

• mixedlawmixedlaw Alum Member
    169 karma

Thanks for the links @akistotle! I'm more looking for tips in terms of test strategy since most of the study resources are thinking about the test in terms of pen and paper. Should I be diagramming differently on LG since there's no more writing on the test? What are best practices for RC since the only tools we have access to on the tablet are underlining and three highlight colors?

169 karma

But I will admit, the digital tutorial is very helpful. If only LSAC would publish practice tests in the digital format for us to prep with!

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

I hear there is a timer available for the digital test. This is one of the biggest advantages possible for the LSAT, I think.

• simple_jacksimple_jack Alum Member
    284 karma

To be honest I’m a little worried about the digital version. Here’s why...

Going through the CC I’ve noticed that actually having the physical questions in front of me is super helpful, as it allows me to circle key words in the stimulus and AC which both help me to stay engaged. Also, labeling parts of the stimulus as context, premise , consluon, sub conclusion has helped in comprehending the stimulus. Lastly, diagramming LR questions with conditionals and using the writing out certain notations is critical (at least for the time being in my prep) for sufficient assumptions.

I originally thought the the digital LSAT would be similar to what JY has in the videos, where he circles and writes. But now I see that it’s a “mechanical” in a sense where you are only allowed to underline/highlight. I really do hope we get scrap paper for LR too.

Let me know what y’all think.

169 karma

@simple_jack I completely share your concerns. I think as we progress through the fundamentals we’ll have to adapt the strategies knowing that we’ll only have access to underlining and highlighting. On the upside, I have heard on other forums (from folks who actually took the pilot version of the digital LSAT) that LSAC confirmed that we will also be getting scrap paper for LR.

289 karma

@mixedlaw said:
    @simple_jack I completely share your concerns. I think as we progress through the fundamentals we’ll have to adapt the strategies knowing that we’ll only have access to underlining and highlighting. On the upside, I have heard on other forums (from folks who actually took the pilot version of the digital LSAT) that LSAC confirmed that we will also be getting scrap paper for LR.

Scrap paper for LR is great. Any rumors about scrap for RC as well? I'm currently going through the RC part of the CC and I'm feeling anxious that it's so heavily focused on writing things down.